I need some sleeping advise for my 6 month old

I have a 6 month old daughter and she is an aweful sleeper. She used to get up once a night or sometimes twice. Now most nights she gets up 3 times! Sometimes she does not want to go back to sleep either. Our bedtime routine is: bath, book, bottle and bed (sleepy but awake) and she goes to sleep great, but she is still getting up so often. I know every child is different but my older daughter never had problems sleeping. Is this normal and any suggestions of what I can do to help her sleep better and longer? Thank you

lillysmama2008

Asked by lillysmama2008 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Six months is a time for growth spurts (so she might be hungry! A growth spurt needs more calories and babies will want to eat more than before around the clock) and sometimes they are teething and the pain is always worse when lying down and relaxed without distractions, and they may wake up more often for a time. Sleep patterns do change. I hesitate to call waking every 4-5 hours "awful" -- though it may not be convenient for the adults.

You can't really make babies sleep longer. Most babies do wake at night, it is just that some people don't realize that their babies may wake and not cry out for them -- but they still wake nonetheless. Even adults wake during the night, even though they may not remember all the time when they do. People may suggest CIO but I would never ever do that myself.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I agree with the possible hunger, but it could also just be her - some kids don't sleep through the night. My son was 2 and still waking 2-3 times a night. It could also be an ear infection though - it's always been the first sign in my kids.
    Anonymous

• You won't like this...but she's normal. Keep to your routines. You cannot make them sleep longer. They do it when THEY are ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2009