Atheists barred from serving public office?

Cecil Bothwell won his election. Fair and Square. The former head of the Asheville NAACP has attempted to block Bothwell’s seating by pointing out an obscure clause in North Carolina’s state constitution that bars atheists from holding public office.

Has anyone heard of this before? WHat do you think?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Article 6, section 8 of the state constitution says: “The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God.” Rights enshrined in the U.S. Constitution trump the restriction in the state constitution, said Bob Orr, executive director of the N.C. Institute for Constitutional Law.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yes, as an atheist I knew that. It's sad that a lot of people dont' recognize it for the discrimation that it clearly is.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• That is the Bible Belt for you....

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Maybe our nation has more christian heritage than atheists want to see.
    Anonymous

• wow, as an atheist i didn't know that.
    jlstewart922

Answer by jlstewart922 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Well if thats the case anon, why can other religions run for office?

jlstewart922

Answer by jlstewart922 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Ah I see. So only christians can run for office then? Well then who determines who are "true christians" since there seems to be so much doubt within that community?
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• 1) why is that still on the books since it is clearly illegal and unconsitutional?
    2) why would someone from the NAACP be so stupid as to encourage discrimination like that?
    BTW I am a Christian and I clearly I think this is disgusting.
    Anonymous

• I hate States Rights. There should be one set of laws that are set for all States across the board. How can an Article in a STATES Constitution be allowed to say something like that when it clearly goes against the Constitution of the United States? Ignorance, arrogance, bigotry, injustice, and intolerance- that's what Christianity and Religion has become synonymous with here in the US. I for one an sick of it.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2009