What is your opinion on Autism Speaks?

I am the parent of a child on the autism spectrum and I really dislike the way they try to silence adults on spectrum and censor criticism. In addition to that, they seem to be so focused on a "cure" when they could be using their funds to help kids and adults on the spectrum to have a better life and acquire the services they need. I also dislike the scare tactics they employ that makes it seem like all kids with autism are unmanageable and violent. I think they spread a lot of misinformation about autism to scare people into donating. Thoughts? I am genuinely curious of your opinions. Especially moms with ASD or moms of kids with ASD. Thanks, and let's try to keep it civil!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I am the parent of a child on the Autism Spectrum and I very much dislike Autism Speaks for the very reasons you cite, as well as the fact that people walk for them and raise millions of dollars that are then taken out of their home communities and used for exhorbitant paychecks for company employees, plush offices and other "expenses". Autism Speaks has recently had some "financial woes" and the first thing they cut funding to was their research grants - They're nothing but a bunch of money grubbing executives hopping on the bandwagon of autism making millions off of desperate families.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I never heard of Autism Speaks. I have a child in the spectrum. I researched AS briefly but I haven't have the time to invest in forming an opinion about it. All I can say is that part of been a parent of a child in the spectrum is to make informed decisions and sometimes it means going against the "mainstream", so to speak. If you dislike them, is there anything in what they do that could be of value to you and your child?

That's what I do, sometimes I read things and I disagree with them, yet I try to always find at least one thing that my son can benefit from. Maybe you could find something positive out of that organization while you keep researching for one that you feel is more useful/appropriate for your child's needs.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I stand for Autism. What really is silenced is mental illness. You never hear too much awareness other than NAMI.
    Anonymous

• i do not have a child on the spectrum but find the subject very interesting because i am a k-3 teacher. (excuse my lack of grammar) my understanding of autism speaks is that the family that started it has lost control of the group. that they opposed the treatment that jenny mccarthy and other have used to help their kids because the treatments dont cure all. i thought the AS perspective was that autism cannot be cured. that is all i really know about the group.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2009