If there is only ONE God then who the hell is "US" If we are alone then who is "them"?

Gen. 1:26And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Note that this verse says:
"us" - more than one, and the Holy trinity was not yet
"them" - God hadn't created woman yet

two questions for bible believers: who is "us" and who is "them"?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 1:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Jesus was there with him
    Anonymous

• Hey, maybe there WAS a Steve before Eve! It does say THEY like it's referring to two or more MEN.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Lol, IhartU.
    I was thinking Lilith and Adam.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 1:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• First, the pronoun use may depend on which version of the Bible you use. Not version as in "we believe this" vs "That." Version as in "King James" vs "New Revised" vs whatever else is out there.

Second, while I can't speak for all denominations, I can say that most Christians believe in the Holy Trinity - God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost. These three are part of one whole - separate and yet the same. It's always been my understanding that "Us", in this context and in this particular version of the text, refers to the "Three as One."

The Bible also goes on to say in the next verse: "Male and Female he created them" does it not?

Gen 1:27 "So God created man in His own image,
    in the image of God He created him;
    male and female he created them."

So Them *IS* male and female even though Eve hadn't yet appeared in the linear telling of the story.

http://www.biblegateway.com/pass
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• "Jesus was there with Him"

Isn't Jesus supposed to BE God? Then why do Christians always make them sound like two completely different people?

God was there with himself , talking to himself, calling himself us? Christians really make their god sound...umm, interesting.

Anonymous

• you are absolutely right Idmemom. Which is EXACTYL why I NOW feel that verse 27 is referring to "them" as ADAM and LILITH.

But like I said the Holy Trinity was not yet so.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 2:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• >But like I said the Holy Trinity was not yet so.<

Actually, I think there's Biblical text that would dispute that. Just because Christ didn't walk the Earth until the New Testament didn't mean He wasn't there. ;) There are several New Testament, as well as Old Testament, verses referring to Creation and Christ presence at it.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Jesus was there with Him"

I dont believe in the trinity, I believe that God is the father and Jesus is the son.
    Anonymous

• they are talking us as in them the gods,but we only worship him the one almighty god and them he is reffering to the human race..
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 2:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• The Trinity was in existence then...The Bible is talking about the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit...all one God in then forms.
    Them...well is them...humans. God knew there'd eventually be more than one.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2009