vitamin d deficiency

What are the symptoms of vitamin d deficiency? Has anyone ever been diagnosed with this deficiency, then got on the supplement and had a positive effect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Health

• I have a Vitamin D deficiency and my dr said the supplement should help with fatigue. From what I've read and heard, this is a very common deficiency right now due to people avoiding sunlight and using higher SPFs

Answer by missanc at 1:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I had a Vit D deficiency that was checked after they found out I had a parathyroid tumor. The endocrinologist put me on a high dose Vit D for about a month and it was corrected after that. I also had to have the parathyroid removed, but the Vit D had to be corrected before they would do the surgery. In case I'm scaring you (I don't mean to), I also learned that about 95% of parathyroid tumors are benign and mine was.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• yes, after a while my joint pain went 90% away, a lot of fatigue did as well.
    Anonymous

• Same thing here. I started taking the D, and the bone pain and some fatigue went away. I have had to continue taking it or else the symptoms come back, but considering the extent of my deficiency (my test registered no detectable level of vitamin D in my blood) I'm not surprised. I live in NH, so sun is pretty hard to come by most of the year.

I currently take 8,000 - 10,000 IU daily. It turns out it's necessary for far more than our bones; it's also needed to keep our immune systems healthy, and can even play an important role in preventing depression. Look for info on vitamin D through the Weston Price Foundation; tons of great stuff there!
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 7:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2009