Two Young Ones

I have two sons...one is 2yrs old and the other is 4 months old. I think my two yr old is growing out of taking naps. My four mth old of course needs naps. My dilemma is what do I do with my two yr old while im rocking my other son to sleep??

maxsmommy1018

Asked by maxsmommy1018 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try to find something to occupy him for a short time, while you rock the baby. maybe put on a video he loves, elmo or something, or have him play quietly with blocks, or hotwheels, or maybe coloring....anything to give you about 15 minutes. OR! Make a rule that although he is too "big" for naps, he still needs 15 or 20 minutes each day of "rest" time and make him lay on his bed while you rock the baby, then you and him do something "special" together when the baby is asleep.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 2:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• why dont you get him on a schedule where he know he has to take naps.. yours are the same age mine were when they were that little.. my oldest knew she had to take a nao at a certain time... and knew that she had to be quiet when the baby was sleeping.. if helps us that the oldest had her own room while they were learning schedules..then around 6 months we moved them in together.. just a thought.. maybe put him down for a nap and close the door and then rock the baby in the living room or something..mine know that when they get put in bed they go to bed..but we closed the door for a bit for them to understand that it is quiet time and not play time...
    Anonymous

• My first 2 kids were 20 months apart. My oldest would have grown out of naps if I had let him. The rule was that he had to be in his bed quietly for 45 minutes. It did the trick 90% of the time. On the days that it did not work, I had a really cranky little boy with an earlier bedtime. My youngest is nearly 5 now and will still nap for me on most days. It is hard to get them to rest but if you are consistent, you will still have a napper on most days.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• He could watch a movie at nap time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Why do you need to occupy him? Why dont you put your 4 mo old down to sleep instead of rocking him?
    Anonymous

• I did not know that you could just put a 4 mth old down and not help them to sleep. I would think that he would just scream his little head off if i left him up there to fall asleep on his own. How do I get him to do that? I just dont know if he would be able to fall asleep that way.
    maxsmommy1018

Answer by maxsmommy1018 at 8:13 AM on Dec. 11, 2009