Do you think I could use holiday cookie cutters on peanut butter cookies?

I bought Christmas cookie cutters, and my hubby doesn't like sugar cookies so I was going to use peanut butter cookie dough. But i just realized you have to use a lot of flour so the dough doesnt stick to the counter or the cutter. Would that dry out the peanut butter cookie dough to have that much flour on it?

Butterflysky_24

Asked by Butterflysky_24 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• of course
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Ha! We've tried to make cut out shaped from peanut butter cookie dough and the cookie getting dry wasn't the problem. The problem is that the butter and peanut butter in the cookie melt and spread out to much to hold a shape. If I was going to try again I would just make a whole sheet of dough and cut out the shapes after it's cooked. I'm not sure it would work, but I know that the other way doesn't work.
    Have fun!
    Anonymous

• I would try to refrigerate the dough for 2-3 hours, so it was nice and cold. Then, roll it out on plastic wrap (if you wipe down the counter with a damp rag, the plastic wrap will stick to the counter pretty well and make it easier) and cut it out. You will need to be really careful when you transfer it to the pan, so use some really simple cutters, the bigger the better. Sprinkle the tops with some sugar and bake. They will rise more than sugar cookies, so the shape may or may not turn out, but it's worth a try.......Let us know if it works, I'm really curious!
    Hint: Peanut butter cookies taste better if you use the "natural" peanut butter, like Adam's brand. I don't like it for eating, but it makes amazing cookies!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• that woould be cool if it worked! I have never thought to try it!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Thanks for your answers! I think i am gonna just make round coookies. They are for my hubby & we're giving some to the neighbors too!
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I am not good at making cookies even so they cook even and I am in a hurry and super busy, so I am going to cookie gun my cookies this year!!! and see if it works.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 3:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I haven't used them on PB cookies, but I have had a fairly sticky cookie dough and had luck dipping the cutter into flour first then cutting the cookie. Ample flour on the rolling out surface makes it possible to lift the cookie from the surface. And only use big cutters without little areas- I ended up using round.

Answer by Bmat at 3:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Look on the net and see if you can find a recipe for Rolled Peanut Butter Cookies.
    Anonymous