WHAT MED. CAN I TAKE FOR A COLD WHILE BREASTFEEDING?

IM COUGHING AND I HAVE A HEAD COLD. MY BABY IS ALMOST 6 MONTHS.

chicaloca0987

Asked by chicaloca0987 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No decongestants! They can decrease milk supply "Both pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine are generally considered to be safe for the breastfed baby, but pseudoephedrine may reduce milk supply. "

Check out the list at Cold and Allergy Remedies Compatible with Breastfeeding

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Get a neti pot. If you have never heard of it, google it. Works better than anything decongestants you can take. The cough is probably mostly drainage, and the the neti pot will take care of the sinus thing you have.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 3:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 3:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    Feel better

• Tylenol Cold is safe while nursing.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• going to be a bubble burster- like PP said, NO decongestants. tylenol cold contains them... the reason being is that it can adversely affect your milk supply. that is why it is recommended that you take them while weaning to help dry you up more quickly.

nettipot, or good old saline spray & suction bulb (if you have a baby, you already have one) will fix the congestion. drink lots of tepid fluids (not hot, not cold)- sore throat, 1 part honey, 2 parts lemon, 3 parts water... works quite well

Rkoloms gave you some excellent references! i would definitely start there.

speaking from personal experience, even if it is "safe" to take, i would absolutely stay away from ALL decongestants... its not fun trying to bring your supply back up!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• When I had a small cold a few months ago I called the my doctor, the pediatrician AND my lactation consultant! I just wanted to be sure nothing would affect my baby or my milk supply. I highly recommend contacting a lactation consultant. She said anything with an antihistamine or decongestant you shouldn't take. Since the purpose for them is to dry you up. Well, that goes for the milk you produce,too. I decided not to take anything and just use a Netti pot. That helped a lot. I used it about 3-5 time a day for 3 days.

If it's a bad cold then you need to see the doctor. Also, when you are sick and nursing you are giving your boosting your baby's immune system as well. Extra antibodies go to the baby! It will help your baby fight colds and stuff when your baby is older and gets sick.

Good luck - feel better!
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Ask a pharmacist, Dr, or google it. LOL
    kellih77

Answer by kellih77 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I had a cold not too long ago and I took Tylenol cold and didn't really notice a problem with my milk supply. I only took it before I went to sleep, though and not really during the day. I kind of toughed it out during the day.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2009