Fibromyalgia Questions!

I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I've been sick for over a year now and the last few months I have been so weak and in so much pain that it is hard to get out of bed. Does anyone know of anything I can do to help, treat the symptoms besides pain medications? My doctor gives me pain meds but they make me sick at my stomach and sleep nonstop. I don't want to sleep I want to live and feel good again! How do you deal with the symptoms and live a normal life again? Is it even possible? I am perplexed by this diagnoses. I always thought it was a fake disease but these symptoms aren't fake at all and my dr assures me its common. Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Health

• Did he prescribe you muscle relaxers? My friend has it and her doctor prescribed her muscle relaxers. I would keep heat and get one of those massaging things that you can put in any seat. Also if you like tea there is certain teas you can drink that is supposed to help.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Do you know the names of the teas? I will go buy them today!
    Heat does seem to help. He did prescribe muscle relaxers but I have stomach ulcers as well and they make me so nauseated that its worse than the pain. Do you know of anything that helps with the extreme fatigue? Thank you for responding :)
    Anonymous

• This will sound crazy but it helps. Take apple cider vinegar (the organic kind with the "mother"- not the regular pasteurized kind). Two teaspoons twice a day in 8 oz of water. Add a little honey to soften the taste. It really tastes like apple cider and works for minimizing the various ailments that are associated with this disease. If you don't believe me, google it. Also, get plenty of low impact exercise. You may not feel like it, but start slow and do some walking everyday and build from there.
    My mother has suffered from this disease since she came off chemotherapy 15 years ago. Of course she has aches and pains, but hardly ever has flare-ups anymore with the above.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 3:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• something called a cuddle you blanket (sp?). it has magnetic fibers that promote joint and muscle relief. and lyrica, though there are a lot of side effects that are associated with it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• angevil53 where do you find these blankets? Thank you everyone. I have apple cider vinegar. I will try that too.
    Anonymous

• Find an herbalist near you. They can customize an herbal protocol specifically for you. If you need help finding one, PM me and I'll help you.

Yoga is FANTASTIC for fibro. I don't have fibro, but I do have CFS/ME (very similar symptomology). Yoga has helped me phenomenally.

The last thing I would really recommend is finding a therapist who specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. They can teach you techniques to deal with the symptoms as they come up. I spend far fewer days in bed since starting therapy, and suggest it to anyone else with FM or CFS/ME.

Good luck!
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 7:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Did your doctor recommend physical therapy to keep your muscles flexible?

Answer by admckenzie at 8:48 PM on Dec. 10, 2009