Have you heard of the freedom to present Christmas music in public classrooms or assemblies?

The Tea Party movement is supposed to be all about keeping the government out of your business. But if some California members get their way, the state will force public schoolchildren to sing Christmas carols.

It's called the "Freedom to Present Christmas Music in Public School Classrooms or Assemblies" initiative.

Merry Hyatt, a substitute teacher and member of the Redding Tea Party Patriots, is behind the push. The Redding Searchlight reports:

The initiative would require schools to provide children the opportunity to listen to or perform Christmas carols, and would subject the schools to litigation if the rule isn't followed.

Schools currently are allowed to offer Christmas music as long as it is used for academic purposes rather than devotional purposes and isn't used to promote a particular religious belief, according to an analysis by the California Legislative Analyst's Office.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Schools currently are allowed to offer Christmas music as long as it is used for academic purposes rather than devotional purposes and isn't used to promote a particular religious belief, according to an analysis by the California Legislative Analyst's Office.

Parents are allowed to have their students opt out of the caroling if they express that desire in advance.

"We were having Christmas without Jesus," Hyatt complained of her previous school district.

The initiative has the support of the local Tea Party Patriots president.

"Bottom line is Christmas is about Christmas," said Erin Ryan, president of the Redding Tea Party Patriots. "That's why we have it. It's not about winter solstice or Kwanzaa. It's like, 'Wow you guys, it's called Christmas for a reason.' "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/10/merry-hyatt-tea-party-pat_n_387408.html
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• "The initiative would require schools to provide children the opportunity to listen to or perform Christmas carols, and would subject the schools to litigation if the rule isn't followed. "

Isn't this saying that it would force the schools to give the children the opportunity to sing Christmas carols? I don't think it would be forcing the kids to anything. The way I am reading it, it says that school must make this possible, I am assuming it would be up the parents if their kids participated or not.
    Anonymous

• LOL! Didn't see your second post! Sorry! I don't think its the schools job to teach kids what Christmas is about. I am all about Christmas decorations and parties and stuff at school, but I would prefer to teach my kids the meaning behind the holiday/
    Anonymous

• Why don't they make it mandatory that they TEACH our kids how to READ WRITE and COMPREHEND on a greater level so we can COMPETE with the rest of the WORLD????

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

LOL..no problem, I love Christmas myself and am glad my daughters school does some Christmas stuff but to FORCE the issue is just stupid .....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• if Christmas can't even be presented as a "possible" reason for the season here in the US, why mention Kwanzaa, winter solstice or anything else??!!
    Screw every bit of it.

Also, all theories about EVERYTHING need to be presented accurately and evenly.
    If curricula is presented about how humans eating or living is ruining the ecosystem, please also present the idea that some people actually think that humans are as important as animals, maybe even MORE important!
    Stupid humans!
    The NEA sucks.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

What are you talking about? WHo said it couldn't be presented and a reason for the season? This is about the state FORCING public schoolchildren to sing Christmas carols...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Wait. Perhaps I read English differently from others:

"The initiative would require schools to provide children the opportunity to listen to or perform Christmas carols, ... "

This states an opportunity, not a compulsion.

How does this jive with the claim that: "... the state will force public schoolchildren to sing Christmas carols." ??

waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Why don't they make it mandatory that they TEACH our kids how to READ WRITE and COMPREHEND on a greater level so we can COMPETE with the rest of the WORLD

Sweets, it is mandatory. Teachers are breaking their necks to do exactly that.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 3:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• winter solstice

Gracie, don't you know what winter solstice IS? hint: it's not religious. and it's tied to the actual reason for ALL the seasons.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2009