Anyone else think reduced lunch should go by sliding scale?

We have always been a hair over the income limit and have paid $1.75. I took just enough of a cut in hours recently to put us just under the line for reduced, which is .40. It is just so silly to me that that there is a one dollar difference that determines if a family pays $8 a month or $35 a month (estimate) to feed one child. That is a big jump to a family on a tight budget. I personally would love to see a gradual sliding scale type set up for those "in between" families right around the line. Get rid of that single make or break point and have different levels of reduced. Maybe some could pay .40, some .60, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree, and I had reduced lunch all throughout school.
    Anonymous

• sure, there should be, but it is a federally subsidized program, so that money would just have to come through more taxes.

You can pack a lunch for a lot less than $1.75 a day, which is what we do
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• What money would come through taxes? If there were a sliding scale wouldn't it require less funding being that more people would be paying a little more? I could be off there, this honestly isn't something I have much knowledge on. :) I have always thought a sliding scale would be better for the lunch program and (whole different topic here) Headstart also. Less people getting a completely free ride I would think would open up some doors for programs to be able to afford the ones that need help but by income guidelines can't quite get it.

Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Pack a lunch. It's got to be cheaper than $1.75 a day.
    Anonymous

• because those who are currently funded would remain funded at the full amount, but those "in between" families would be paying a reduced cost, therefore more families would qualify, therefore costing more money for the program
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• but peanuts the ones that are free would still be free but those that are reduced some would actually be paying more and others could then buy in.... in the end it might actually even out.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My sons reduced lunch is 40 cent a day down from 1.35... I only bring this up because I wonder if every district is different and some do have sliding scales...

BTW you can not pack a balanced sack lunch for less than 1.75 a day. once you add in bread, meat, cheese, veggie/fruit and a 'snack' plus juice or water. Even if it was less by chance where you are you are still getting a better deal for your child to have a hamburger, fruit, peas and milk for only 1.75.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I just looked it up our schools nutrition program is self funded. Maybe that makes a difference.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Good luck with that. The reduced or free lunch is through the Federal Government and you can make a pretty good amount and still qualify.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• At least it was only $1.75. Lunches at our school are $2.60. If we didn't qualify for the free lunch program they would brown bag it (and actually all 3 have lunch boxes because they used to do a special lunch every month that came from pizza hut or some other place and we couldn't afford the tab for it so they had to bring a lunch).
    When my oldest was in kindergarten we didn't even qualify for reduced lunch (not sure how that was possible since we were so freaking poor). Every day she took a PB&J sandwich, a bottle of tap water and some kind of snack. Some days all she had was a baggie of saltine crackers. Other days we had a banana or apple she could take (she loved those days). Sometimes there was a little cheese to go with the crackers. It just depended on our income that particular month.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:09 AM on Dec. 11, 2009