How do you keep your kids from taking off Christmas Tree ornaments?

My 2 1/2 year old DD and my 15 month old nephew think it's really fun to take off the ornaments off our tree, and already 3 have been broken. What do you do to keep your kids from messing with the tree?

kicknscreamn222

Asked by kicknscreamn222 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter last year, she was one....she was in the living room, we hadn't had any issues with her going near the tree...she was afraid of it lol so we didn't think anything of her being in there...then we hear her scream...she had taken an ornament...must have tried to bite it or something, but it broke in her hand and in her mouth. It was not fun at all. But I dunno...you just have to watch them I guess...or get a baby gate to put around it for now. I'm not really sure...
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My kids are a bit older ( 3 & 4) but I told them if they touch the xmas decorations that Santa wont come. So far its working.
    Anonymous

• hmm It's been a while, but I think when they were 2 I just told them NO! and when they were younger than that I would distract them with something else. I also would put the breakable ones up high and close the hooks around the branches so they are hard to pull down or accidentally fall down. I don't remember having much of a problem with it.
    Now if you can tell me how to make my cat leave the ornaments alone. She is constantly pulling them off the tree. Thankfully the breakable/expensive ones are up high.
    Anonymous

• I don't really have anymore breakable ones. I put the real soft ones on the bottom, or put them all toward the top.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I just told my son that they were a no-no and he wasn't to touch them. I took him to it and showed him and if he tried to touch it, I would give him a little pop on the hand and say NO. Not reall an issue at my house. I did it for all the kids I babysat too. Still no issue. Those kids at their own houses was a whole different story. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Don't put ornaments where they can reach them.
    Put ornaments that are ok to play with where they can reach them
    Wrap big heavy boxes and put them around the tree so kids can't get to the tree
    Get a small tree and put it on a high table

Shame on you that tell kids bad things like Santa won't come. Kids are supposed to explore and touch things.

The pop mom is back. She hits kids for everything. Now she is hitting her kids for touching the Christmas tree! She hits the kids she babysits? I hope she gets reported. You can't hit other people's kids even if you call it 'pop'.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My daughter is 23months old and originally we had that issue too. I went out and let her pick out some of the shatterproof ornaments and she and I put those all around on the bottom part of the tree, and I talked a lot about how those were 'hers' and she could touch, move, and play with those ornaments because they were hers, but she needed to leave the rest alone. It took a few times of talking about it, but now she understands and if she wants to touch or play with any she makes sure to only mess with her ornaments
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I agree with most PP's about putting breakables up high and plastic, cheap ones on the bottom. The 2-1/2 y/o can have his "own" to play with. Also, I teach him the "correct way to touch the ornaments", which in our house is to touch it with one finger and say "pretty". This way, they don't grab them and pull them down, but at the same time are given the "freedom to explore" and it's Christmas, for Heaven's sake! It's supposed to be new and exciting, LOL! The 15 m/o you are just going to have to re-direct. We put one of those play-yard corrals around our tree, which was great, because it not only kept the little one from the tree, but "protected" the loads of presents we had from being unwrapped early, LOL! Merry Christmas!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I agree with Gailll, now with my tree I don't have any breakable ornaments (anymore). I really can't say it bugs me that my DD removes and puts back the decorations. I just move them back to where I want them. I hate it when Moms of really young ones hit them. I can't imagine doing that with mine.
    Anonymous

• I went out and got a small tree, about a foot or two tall. The tree stays on top of something, liek a table or the microwave. My 2 yo cant touch it, just look at the *pweey* ( pretty lol) And I just take it down on christmas to the ground to put gifts around it. Its also easier to decorate.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 5:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2009