Has anyone ever made an apple pie from...?

Has anyone ever made an apple pie from pre-made crust (like Pillsbury) and store bought canned apple filling? If so how was it? Did you add anything like nutmeg or did you just leave it be? I would love to know, I'm the semi- homemade Queen (next to Sandra Lee).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I did it before. I sprinkled some cinamon on the apple stuff before putting the crust on the top. it was good.
    Anonymous

• It wasn't great quality. I added a little cinnamon sugar, and it was a pie- so a pie lover would like having it rather than no pie. But fresh apples are better. I wonder if frozen apples would work better than canned. At least it wouldn't have that canned taste.

Answer by Bmat at 3:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I'd rather just buy a premade pie. The canned apple filling isn't very good, although the canned cherry filling is.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I didn't like it. I do like the roll-out crusts, there's a generic brand I like a little better than Pillsbury, but I definitely prefer fresh (or fresh that I've frozen) apples over pie filling. I've never had a good-quality apple pie filling for anything before though.
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies!!! Can anyone give me a Fail Proof pie filling... That means super easy!!! LOL I think I will be buying the pie crust.
    Anonymous

• 6 (depending on size- enough to mound over in the pie plate) peeled thinly sliced apples, 2 tablespoons cornstarch or flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp each nutmeg/ginger/allspice, 3/4-1 cup white sugar. toss all ingredients in a large bowl and let sit for at least 1/2 hour before putting in the pie crust & baking. hope that helps! (btw thats a rough estimate, i have never used a recipe- this is just how we've always done it... kinda passed stuff down, kwim?- but its a no fail)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Pie crust is really easy; you can even mix it right in the pie plate and scrunch it down with your fingers.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2009