Should I feel bad that my 2 year old isn't potty training yet?

I see so many people here taling about how their 2 year olds are completely potty trained, or getting there, and my 2 year old still doesn't want to use hers.

I decided I would let her choose when she wanted to start, and not push it (she just turned 2 last month), and she's still not at that point yet, she doesn't want to use it at all.

I know you shouldn't compare kids, and she perfectly fine in every other development, I just feel like I'm lagging behind in my parenting in some way because of this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No. Don't let relatives bother you either. They can be annoying when it comes to this subject. GL and your child will be fine.
    Anonymous

• its no big deal. some kids arent ready yet at 2.
    Anonymous

• Stop reading the posts in the parenting. You know that parenting, at least on CM, has become a competition. No matter what you do someone does it better, faster, smarter, etc. than you (at least in their own opinion). I'm a little further down the parenting road, mine are in high school and 6th grade, so I can look back. When I look back I see that in the big scheme of life it doesn't make that much of a difference if your child starts at 2, 2 1/2, or even 3. As long as they get trained before kindergarten. You know this to be true to. You've thought it out, trust yourself.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I'm not starting potty training until next summer, when my daughter turns 2. It will take as long as it takes. Don't compare yourself to other moms. Most children aren't potty trained before the age if 2, and many aren't potty trained until 3, 4 or even older.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• She just turned 2 and you are worried? You need to get a good child development book or look at some good websites. Some normal kids don't potty train until they are 3.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• no eevry child is different my dd was potty tarin by 2,. but my nieces were almost 3 1/2 by the time thwy got the hang off it. evry child is different dont worry itl will happen. my dd was ready at 18 mts but that was her
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My 2 year old isn't potty trained eighter. Don't worry about it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I waited until all of mine turned 3. They were trained in 3 days. It's MUCH easier on you if you wait.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• CM does NOT represent typical results.. Tends to be a bit of bragging.. My son is 2 1/2 and shows no interest. I see no point in rushing it. My son's teacher didn't get her kids trained until 3 1/2 (one a boy, the other a girl). I would, however, start at least talking about it and introducing the concept. We have a potty seat that he'll sometimes sit on.. Only once have I gotten him to sit on it without his diaper.. We'll get there eventually..
    Anonymous

• We have "introduced" at different times.....16 months-bought a potty-put it in the living room (because the dr asked if we were potty training---"What??? Uh, no", LOL!), 19 months-got a potty video, played with Elmo potty, 21 months-watched the video while he sat on potty in living room clothed, 24 months-watched the potty video daily-peed on it twice before saying NO more!, 27 months-wanted to watch me flush "poop" in the potty & danced to the potty video, 29 months-tried 3-day potty training method-quit after 10 days, but NOW he knows if he poops/pees and at 32 months can tell me, doesn't always, but can. I came to the realization that mompam already knew. Wait until 3 y/o unless they do it themselves first. My niece was 4 when she potty trained. Don't feel bad, OP, I'm right there with you! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2009