Goose egg or skull fracture?

So, my 16 mo old was pushing his wagon around the house and crashed into the wall or the door or something; his head hit one of the two. The result was a rather big (pinkie nail size) bump on his head. Nothing new, but what worried me is that the bump is white- a blueish bright white, and hard. I am used to red or black and blue bumps when he takes a spill. My question is the difference between something more serious (ie a skull fracture) vs a goose egg. He wasn't knocked out when he fell, and he calmed down with a little TLC, but he also calmed down when he smashed his face into my footboard and we had to go to the ER for glue. I'm not overly concerned, but should I be?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 3:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• That sounds like a lot of injuries for a 16 mo old. I would suggest...oh I don't know...taking him to a pediatrician?
    Anonymous

• Take him to his doctor. Even if it turns out to be nothing, it's better to know he is alright than to worry. Good luck.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I would call Dr and see what they say, better be safe than sorry.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, two things you don't screw around with are head injuries and trouble breathing. Get him to the dr to be checked out.
    Anonymous

• My doc always said that if they bump their heads and don't cry, then that's when to be worried. Put some ice on it and keep and eye on him. If he starts acting funny, then take him in. Otherwise, if he goes about his business as normal, then all is probably ok. It will just be sore for a while.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 4:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Take him to the doctor just to be safe. You cannot just see a skull fracture. Those are not the same as a concussion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• to the anon who said "that sounds like a lot of injuries for a 16 mnth old"... well, you must have your children living in a bubble then. because any active child is going to get hurt, period.

as far as head injuries go, its not when they cry that you should be worried... a serious head injury will result in a calm, dazed, quiet child who may or may not be lucid (coherent, able to speak, able to react to stimuli). generally in the case of a significant head injury they will show other symptoms either immediately, or shortly thereafter- dizziness, inability to sit upright, vomiting/nausea, dilated pupils. personally, unless he was acting funny, i would put a bag of frozen peas on it (funny, i know, but works best and won't leak), and give him a little tylenol.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Usually, if the swelling goes outward that means it is ok, if it doesn't swell, then the bruising needs to go somewhere and is going into the head. (I am not a doctor and don't play one on tv.)
    I had a child who fell so hard against the coffee table that we thought he did crack his skull. He had an instantaneous gooseegg and it scared me. I gave him Arnica 30 c every half hour for two hours and I watched the swelling go away before my eyes. He was fine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2009