horribly sore and cracked nipples... help!

i just had my baby 8 days ago, and this is my first time breastfeeding. in the hospital things were going great, and still are with the exception of my horribly sore and cracked nipples. i was convinced somehow she was no longer latching correctly, so i had a consultation with a lactation consultant yesterday. she confirmed that her latch is perfect (although she does have a tiny rosebud mouth). she thinks part of my problem was positioning. i had been using the boppy, which the LC considers the devil. so i got set up with a better nursing pillow that has her high at my breast. she's a strong sucker so she's now not pulling from being positioned poorly. she also suggested i pump for a few minutes before feeding if i'm too engorged, that way it will be easier to get her on. i know that she is getting my milk because she is gaining weight, her dipe counts are good, and she's already doing 5hour stretches at night.

abelsmama07

Asked by abelsmama07 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cont... but i'm still really sore, cracked, and occasionally bleeding. i've heard some of it, is just having to toughen them up, and it will get better. i'm fine with that i'll nurse through it... i just don't want to be missing anything. anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? (i have also been using lanolin, but the LC thinks air drying is better, unless i need to cover up right away.)
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Breastmilk onthe nipple and air drying is actually the best thing. Lansinoh if you cannot spend the time air drying.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• oh, and the pain is ESPECIALLY when she first latches... it is excrutiating, and then eases up...
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Oh, honey, I understand -- but trust me, it will get better. Don't give up without giving it another week or so. If you can get past this painful stage, you will find that nursing your baby is a wonderful experience. Good luck!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• OLIVE OIL. OLIVE OIL. OLIVE OIL. oh, did i say olive oil?
    its an anti-microbial, so it will retard the growth of yeast which is common when you have any irritation- it just tends to tale hold. use a couple drops before AND after a feeding and make sure it is well absorbed & has time to dry. it should NOT be washed off, and will not hurt the baby. using it before a feeding helps to soften an lubricate any chapped skin, and makes latching less uncomfortable. after it helps soothe & protect. ALSO, if you are at all engorged, you should by hand express just enough milk before a feeding that your nipple is supple, not hard, and it will make latching more comfortable.

Lansinoh (or any other lanolin preparation) will trap yeast and actually help it to grow... that is why i do not advocate the use of it. it can help discomfort, but it also helps thrush!!! which hurts even more than this.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I agree with stopping the lanolin. If you can, don't wear a bra so your nipples aren't staying wet or being hurt by the bra. If you can't go without a bra, let the flaps down a lot.

Don't give a bottle. Don't use nipple shields. These are very important.

The pump can hurt your breast. If you think the pump is hurting you then just hand express.

If she says the latch is good, it may just take a little time.

You can call La Leche League for free phone help. To find the number of your local leader you can call 1-800-LALECHE
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I agree 100% with putting some drops of expressed milk on them, this is what I did when my son bit me, it helped more than any cream ever did!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Its to soon to use the pump if you can help it.. Just let your breast milk dry on your nipple.. this is the best thing for it, you can also try getting original lipton tea packets, get them wet and put them on your nipples, it will feel amazing!!!!
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 4:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Dipping the nipples in warm salt water can help prevent infection and improve healing. I used shot glasses. it stung a wee bit then felt good. different holds helped take pressure on especially tender spots. For me thigs got better in a week to two weeks.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• oh yeah and i saw small galaxies with initial latch! A litte ice for a minute before latching helps bear it better.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2009