VBAC or Another C-section

So a little background. I had my first son when I was 18. I was induced since he had a heart condition they wanted the specialists to be at the hospital at the time of delivery. I wanted to try and have the baby naturally but they basically forced me into having an epidural at 6 cm dilated. After the epidural I didnt dilate anymore and they told me if I wasnt dilated then they would require me to have a c-section. I was young and I believed everything the drs said so I went along with the c-section.

I am now 24 and pregnant with baby #2 due in July. I spoke with my Dr and she wasnt happy that I requested a Vbac she is very hmm.."medical" where I am more of the "natural" type of person. I just want to be reassured that this is actually possible. Do you think I should get a midwife? Help I'm nervous!

supermom4matt

Asked by supermom4matt at 4:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Maybe you should consider finding a doctor who you feel more comfortable with.
    Anonymous

• definitely find an OB or midwife who is 100% supportive of VBAC. :) that can be hard to do so start searching. have you looked at ICAN's website. good luck! my vote is for VBAC just because it is less risky than repeat c-section
    Anonymous

• Find a new care provider mama. The biggest marker of VBAC success is the attitude of your provider. If your doctor is not supportive, the odds are stacked against you. Have you contacted your local ICAN chapter? They can help you find someone who will support your right to have a vaginal birth. I think you should get a midwife, personally. Obstetricians are surgeons. That's what they are trained for, that's what they know. Midwives (some, so you have to do a great job interviewing) know about normal birth and often will not jump to surgery quickly. I would also look at birth centers or home birth - hospitals are bound to protocol from insurance companies that can reduce your options.

Here are my favorite VBAC sites for information - the more empowered you feel about your choice, the better your odds are at getting it:
    www.vbacfacts.com
    www.theunnecessarean.com
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 4:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yeah find someone who will support what you want to do. ITS YOUR PREGNANCY- do what you want momma! Plus if they don't like it just because its not what they like then screw them, they should only be concerned about keeping you safe, not making themselves happy.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 4:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• It is YOUR body, YOUR pregnancy, YOUR baby! If your doctor doesnt agree with what you want...even if they "go along with it" they will trick you and you will end up with a c/s or at least a fight on your hands, and no one needs that. Definitely try to find a midwife. I know my midwife is VERY supportive of VBAC. Where are you located? Maybe a mama on here can help refer you to someone? And dont worry about switching, I switched with my DD from an OB to a midwife at 30 weeks with no problem!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I am in NJ where do I go to find a midwife, are they covered under insurance?
    supermom4matt

Answer by supermom4matt at 4:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yup. I have a midwife, and it was 100% covered by my old insurance (Blue Cross) and this time I'm stuck on Medicaid (boo!!) and they even cover it 100% as long as you birth in a hospital.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 4:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Oh..and I found mine just by googling "Pittsburgh Midwife" or something like that. I will give you a link to a website that can help.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• http://www.newjerseymidwife.org/
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• http://newjerseymidwives.net/
    ma2b08