How much should I lettting my 1 month old sleep?

I usually let her sleep until she wakes up hungry, however, I was looking at something I got in the mail today relating to children and sleep and it said for children 0-3 months they need between 14 & 20 hours pre day/night. I think Maya sleeps about 20 + ... should I be waking her up more routinely? Should I be worried that she is sick or something? I do wake her up to feed her every 2-3 hours.... but then we put her right back to sleep...

Thanks,
Melissa

CaitlynnMaya

Asked by CaitlynnMaya at 4:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check with her doctor to make sure, but I'd say at a month old that she just needs the sleep. There's a lot of growing and developing going on.

Answer by Bmat at 4:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• What do you mean you put her back to sleep? I'm concerned about what you mean by this.

If you are breastfeeding you need to make sure she is feeding enough even in the night.

You should talk to your baby's doctor about how much she is sleeping.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My philosophy is never wake a sleeping baby! With that said - if your LO is not getting at least 6 to 8 wet/poopy diapers a day then he/she needs to eat more. If LO is getting the dupes count then let him sleep! And count your blessings for a sleeping baby!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• As much as she wants to. I never woke my baby up for anything. We breast fed on demand and I figured if she didnt wake up, she wasnt hungry. And she was always healthy!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• As long as she's getting enough to eat then be greatful that she sleeps this much!
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 4:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I also say "never wake a sleeping baby". Unless you think something may be wrong.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My oldest slept a total of 10 hours as a new born, 6 hours straight at night and 2, two hour naps. My youngest slept 24/7 waking every three hours around the clock for a diaper change and food. Suppose to are guidelines and not have tos. As long as she is eating and growing she is fine. Wait another month or two and she will wake up more.

You are doing good letting her call the shots. Try not to worry as the two of get to know each other you will know when something is wrong, and or she will tell you when something is wrong.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• If her output is fine let her be and catch some z's yourself...at the 6 week growth spurt you'll wish you did!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I'd just let the baby sleep as long as she wants to.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• As much as she wants, unless she under weight, she will let you know when she is hungry. Sleep is as good as eating.

Answer by older at 4:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2009