Insurance premiums going up already for next year?

We own a small business, my insurance broker just told me that our plan will be going up $4200 next year! We employ 8 people and pay a fortune already! Trying to absorb these costs within our business may not be able to happen - which means potentially cutting coverage for some employees. As an employer, I try to make benefits as good as possible for my staff. It reduces expenses for them and keeps them happy. But, our small business KEEPS getting hit from all sides.

HOW does this make sense? Where is the 'stimulus' help to small businesses? I am convinced that it all relates to Obama's plan. Anyone in my shoes? Do you see private insurance premiums going up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• op--all you have to do is pass those expenses along to your clients/customers--they'll thank you for it!
    Anonymous

• How can you be convinced that it relates to Obama's plan. There hasn't even been a planned pass. I think your own words "we pay a fortune already" should tell you something. We need health care reform because everybodies insurance goes up every year. And oh guess what, Obama has has nothing to do with that.
    Phase3

Answer by Phase3 at 4:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I think that it is the insurance companies getting prepared for the "healthcare reform" that we will see in the next few years. The whole idea behind Baucas' plan (which is the one that is likely to get passed) is to give insurance companies huge fees for behaving the way they do - which the insurance companies get around by just passing it onto their customers. So all the big companies are going to start slowly increasing their premiums to pad the blow when these fees are enacted, within the next five years. Yes, it sucks. My insurance just got about 5% more expensive per month, with no change in the actual coverage.
    That's what we get for insisting they change things. They figured out a way around pissing off the insurance companies too bad, while still pacifying the hospital lobby, and still can claim they "reformed" something.
    The only thing I see that is reforming is the size of my bank account.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 4:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• omg... a bunch of friggin idiots. Heres how it works Phase honey, the ins companies see what is coming down the pike. So do small business. The ins companies are going to cover their rear ends for the huge tax increases that are headed their way and the small businesses are at a complete standstill on hiring band are actually laying off so they dont go under. If Cap and Trade passes EVERYONE ONES electricity gores up, home and business. If the business cant afford it the first cuts they make are jobs! uh duh. And if the HC bill passes small business are the ones to suffer because they are the ones that cannot absorb the fees and higher taxes. This isnt rocket dang science. You p[eople need to get your socialist heads out of Obama's rear end and wake up. He is going to raise taxes and there is going to be inflation and all his promises are a load of crap.

Anonymous

• Insurance companies have to pay for the campaigns they are waging against healthcare reform and with fewer people buying their ' services ' because of the recession, they need more money to maintain profitability and pay monstrous salaries and bonuses to their top executives. So much for the much vaunted competition in the private sector to keep costs down.. You cannot blame Obama - the recession was biting deep before he became President. Responsibility for the recession can be laid firmly on Wall Street profiteers and the deregulation of money markets.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Our insurance for next year, went up considerably...

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Our insurance for next year is going up. The amount they take from my husband's check doubles, our co-pay for office visits triples, from $10 to $30 per visit, and they slapped a HUGE deductable on us, now they don't start paying anything till we rack up $3500 in one year... I'm not sure what they are doing with prescription meds yet, but I'm afraid that's going up too. I think they are trying to be sure and get all they can before some sort of regulation kicks in. I'm all fo  insurance regulation and reform, just not any of the plans we've seen yet, and  definately not the government taking over. I want something that will actuially do some GOOD for everyone.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• It is all some back-room deal where Obama's posse are paying off healthcare execs. They are going to jack private prices and slowly weed them out of business and everyone will more towards government healthcare and then Obama will be the hero because *poof* he saved us all from high private healthcare by supplying us with universal coverage! he's such a dreamy winner! (gag)
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 8:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• CBO: Senate health plan will increase some premiums -- and expand coverage .  So it will madate coverage of certain things that some DO NOT want to pay for AND it will raise premiums for some (especially [shocker] small businesses)... So, imo~take whatever the CBO says and multiply it by 2, 3, 4..... Cause, if anything, they are the bare minimum of costs expected.... To my knowledge the CBO has never Over-estimated the cost to taxpayers....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• 6 months ago, premiums were expected to rise 9% each y (on average)... If they are doing that NOW... Once Obama-Pelosi-Reid Care takes effect, imagine what Small business owners will be paying..... But seriously, when has Obama been for the small business owner? He reads a good talk of his teleprompter... But does he walk the walk? Compared to what he has done for Unions and Community Organizers? Not so much... With well over 60% of Americans being employed by a small business~you would think he want to do more to help Small Biz America...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2009