hoarder, clean one but i need help, not trash..lots of items

Im a 31 year old hoarder, and i need help, it's hard for me to detach my self from alot of things. i have 3 children and have saved all there stuff, since they were little, reason being that i have done the hand me downs with in each other, so i save money, im afraid if i get rid of everything and have another child i will be screwed. secondly, i save every receipt, warranty, letter, tkt, bill, movie stub, my desk has about a foot of papers, and the floor around it has abot another foot by 5 feet of papers.. how do i get organized, and not feel guilty about giveing things away, i always think i can make money off a pair of old shoes, and the paper work scared that i will throw away the receipt to the shirt i bought 3 months ago and ripped on its own? help me, my husband is really getting fed up but he wont tell me anything he just says, can u clean up, we havent had anyone in my house in 10 years cuzz we dont fit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• GREAT ANSWER!!! Nice positive answer. LOVE IT!

There are organizations you can call to help you.

Try this - buy boxes (unless you have some - LOL)
    Put all reciepts for each month into the box and date. After 3 mo. throw away.
    For the kid clothes that are too small for all kids - pick out your favorite 7 in each size (one wks worth) - donate or sell the others
    Toys that the kids dont play with - sell and put money in a special account for next holiday season
    Magazines - keep only for 3mo. then toss
    Junk mail - toss immidately

etc. etc. etc.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• You have to get rid of stuff. Its just stuff stuff is replaceable. Keep what you have to and throw the rest out. Thats why theres second hand stores and yard sales and free cycling to help people. If you decide to have another baby plus baby stuff changes every year and whats good now maybe wont be good later.
    youngmom2004

Answer by youngmom2004 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• my mom is the same way. From her i learned to NOT be that way...lol! I swore as a child that i would throw anything away that i didn't need.

Here is a tip;

Once you throw it away, you will not think about it anymore because it will be GONE. And, you will be surprised how wonderful you feel when all that clutter is gone. How many times have you actually found an old receipt & used it? Only save things that are NECESSARY! You can always scan a warranty onto your computer & save it that way.

I LOVE to throw things away. I hate clutter, i will not live that way. If it has not been used, or if it just sits there collectinig dust, it is SO GONE! Goodwill loves me!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• First of all, if you still have things and you could have made money, why havent you? Get rid of it. Secondly, you can always go to a thrift store for cheap clothes if another baby was to come into the picture. Thirdly, why do you save all of those receipts and paper items?
    I have 7 children and I save important and cute stuff but in a box. A bankers box actually and leave it in the kitchen and when they come home I throw it in there immediately. When it is full, I label it and put in attic.
    If you feel you have to keep everything then you need a box or a filing cabinet and get some folders and label the folders and file asap.
    Yikes, if I saved all my papers I would be on that show!!!!!
    Try and find out why you feel you have to hold on to all of those papers and things.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Here's a my idea. You could sell all the stuff you don't need anymore, and hoard the money for things you'll need in the future. E-bay, craigslist and yard sales are ways to sell stuff.
    Anonymous

• There are organizations you can call to help you.

Junk mail - toss immidately

etc. etc. etc.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• it is impossible to be a clean hoarder -- what filth is under all the junk?? You could have your kids taken from you.

Try a professional organizer and therapist they can help you.
    Anonymous

• hoarding is alot more than just keeping stuff, is a mental disorder, what you need is a therapist hoarding is only a symptom of soemthig worse like severe drepression. time to contac a profesional
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I was the same way before I got organized. Start by setting up a filing system for your paperwork. Toss any receipts older then 90 days and never ever keep junk mail, you can ask your mail carrier how to get them junk to stop coming.
    GET A SHREDDER !!!! The kids can help...
    Good luck, it's not easy but start a little at a time.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My mom told me to take pictures of large things I don't want but have a sentimental attachement to. Then you can always pull the picture out and it takes up a lot less space. You can even do this with your children's artwork and papers!
    Becki1979

Answer by Becki1979 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2009