Do you think children with siblings are privileged?

I only have one daughter and she's a very happy child. She's 5 now. I'm not really planning on having any other kids. Many people say kids with siblings have a better childhood than kids without brothers or/and sisters.

What's your opinion?

Emmagr

Asked by Emmagr at 4:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Priviledged isnt the word Id used but I think there is something to be said for having a sibling.

Anything I can say good about having siblings can be refuted so there isnt much point in spelling them out.

I think having a sibling opens up a world of discovery and learning that you cant do with school chums or cousins or your parents,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• They both have benifits.

Anonymous

• I think there definitely are benefits, but I don't believe children without siblings have terrible childhoods. If you don't want anymore children don't have any just for her. She will be fine.
    Anonymous

• I have two children but I am an only child.  There are definitely pro's and con's to both.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i was an only child until was 11, when i was 11 my father had my sister with stepmom, when i was 12 my mother met my stepfather who had a 3 yr old son. so, i am an only child still by my parents but i experienced what it was like being an only child & having siblings. a pro of bein an only child was that i am SO close with my mom, we are like best friends, i never had to share her or share her attention, love, or money. it was/is nice. but, i love my little brother & sister so much. my sister is going to be my sons godmother and i cant wait till she gets alittle older and we can be best friends also. they look up to me. i love to be their role model. i definatly want my son to have siblings and if you want my advice, i would reconsider having more kids if i was you. it can get pretty lonley being an only child.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I'd say there are pros and cons to both sides. I was an only child and it was sooo lonely but my mom and I have an awesome bond because of it. I want my ds to have at least one sibling so he doesn't feel lonely. But if you don't want more kids then don't dd will be ok :)
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yah,I don't think that privilaged is how I would put it. I think a child that has no syblings would (an only child) would be more privilaged than one that has a sybling. They have all of their parents undivided attention,love and all of their financial resources for themselves. On the other hand kids w/sybs should learn life lessons that kids who don't may not have the chance to learn.
    My own personal experience, I have a brother and my parents pitted us against eachother all of our growing up years. He was (and is) wonderful and perfect. I was always a PIA,and thats it. It depends on the parents too and can they teach and foster the kind of relationship between two or more children. Anyway,I love my brother but we are not very close as my parents still pit us against eachother. What is really weird,we both have a girl(oldest) and a boy. Who are both the exact same age difference that he and I are.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 8:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2009