Heart Murmur brought on by pregnancy.

I found out on the 8th of December that i have a murmur from being pregnant,I'm 7 weeks.I have no known other heart issues infact prior to pregnancy was told my heart was as healthy as someone in thier 20's which was in early october of this year to.What i want to know is how will this affect the pregnancy.What should i be doing or not doing to care for this pregnancy,outside of routine care but in my daily lifestyle.Any advice would be appreciated.Did you have a normal delivery or c-section to prevent stress on your body and so on:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would ask your doctor. I have had a murmur my entire life, and have never been told to do anything special about it. I even went to a cardiologist about a different problem and the murmur was considered a non-issue. Until they tell you different, I would keep exercising, and forget about it. They will tell you if you need to reduce activities etc. I also had 2 normal vaginal births. I would guess yours will be gone after you give birth, once the hormones are out of your system.

ps I would love to know what the dr has said about exercise etc.
    p.b.

Answer by p.b. at 5:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Op Here:To the PP i was told to not change anything in my lifestyle but be aware and notify here if something feels different.
    However,feel to get other moms perspectives on what to look for or try to best address the continued health to me and baby is a good idea.
    I exercise cardio and conditioning 4 times a week for at least 4 hours.
    I will keep everyone posted.
    Anonymous

• Oops should of read Notify her(the doctor) not here..sorry.
    Anonymous

• You most likely don't have a heart murmur... your blood volume increases by 30% while pregnant and the arteries in your heart enlarge with the blood flow. This can cause a flutter in the heart valves. 8 month postpartum, my arteries were still enlarged, but were shrinking.
    Anonymous

• I was asked at my first prenatal visit with my first baby if I'd ever been told I had a heart murmur before. I hadn't. She listened to it every month but I did everything the same. Vaginal delivery, nothing special, yadda yadda yadda. It was there with my next 3 pregnancies too. But then, when my 4th was about a month old, my dad was diagnosed with a heart condition, so I got checked out, and sure enough, I have it too - they figure it was the undiagnosed (unknown) condition causing the murmur. Not saying you have anything like that wrong, but even with the major diagnosed heart condition, I was able to have one more baby - I just took it easy in pregnancy but gave birth the same way I did the first 4 times, and had extra appointments with my cardiologist.
    Anonymous