Low income parents

I have been low income the majority of my life, and as such, I know many low income families. What I don't understand, especially this time of year, is why I get phone calls from these people saying how stressed they are about Christmas finances. How are they going to afford a tree? How are they going to afford presents? How are they going to afford Christmas dinner? Yet, they still manage things like beer, liquor, or other forms of alcohol. In fact, there have been times that I've received phone calls where people slurred their way through their sob story. So why is it that low income families that can't afford Christmas can afford to indulge themselves enough to drown their sorrows in alcohol??

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 4:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• good question
    Anonymous

• Because some of them have their priorities screwed up. They know they can usually get help for the "Christmas" stuff they want or need but no one will buy them their liquor. They spend their money on that and expect others to help them give their child a merry Christmas.
    Anonymous

• Good question, we are low income also. We have a couple who are low income also (the husband got fired) and can't afford much, but seems to have money for beer. I don't get it. My fiance and I are trying to quit smoking to save money, which really helps, and we don't drink. I wish people would make the sacrafices needed like us to make sure they have what they need and better themselves. All the money we are saving from not smoking...savings account!! Yippee!!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Not all low income families splurge on drugs and alcohol. I am a low income family and don't drink all my money goes to bills and my kids etc.
    youngmom2004

Answer by youngmom2004 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I think I might have contradicted myself in my response by saying I'm low income but we smoked...lol, but hey, we just quit so at least we are trying.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• as one of my friends moms said back in high school "life sucks drink it up" lol alc is cheep and makes the holidays go by fast whats sad is having their little children seeing them drunk and slopy
    Zandrialeann

Answer by Zandrialeann at 5:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Alcohol is cheap! You can buy a 40 oz. for a few dollars. Sometimes drugs are given to people. I totally understand it. When you are suffering, you just want to numb the pain. A few dollars doesn't seem like much, of course it adds up over the years, but it is hard to fault people who are just trying to cope any way they can.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Beyond having their priorities out of order, I think the chronic whiners are used to playing the victim, it's become part of their personality. It's likely how they've learned to "get by" and get the things they want for little or no money.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Youngmom2004, I'm not trying to "talk smack" about low income families... just with in the past year I was able to get off food stamps myself. I grew up poor, and was poor the majority of my adulthood. But I didn't stop being a low income family by crying in to my beer... and I don't understand why alochol is more important that a Christmas for their children...
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 5:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• you now what is worse then that, having to live with one that waste money in such a selfish way. My husband smokes and drinks these stupid energy drinks That cost us about 300 dollars a month. 300! spent a month solely on him! Do you know how much a month I spend on myself? enough to by me tampons once a month. We have gotten into many fights. On another note OP I understand how you feel! oh boy do I!

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2009