Do you regret your tattoos?

I was reading a post about Rihanna's new tattoo online and all these people made comments about how people w/ tattoos are going to 'regret them when they're older.' I have tattoos, one quite big one that I"ve had for 8 years. I got married with it and work in a very conservative office. I don't regret it and I'm pretty sure I won't. I don't understand the 'you'll regret it when you're old' thing. Old is old. A tattoo isn't going to change our aged bodies. We'll just be old people with tattoos!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• 'we'll just be old people with tats" lol thats pretty much how i feel about it. i got my first one almost 13 years ago... don't regret it a lick (even though it looks like it belongs on an old person! lol)

no regrets, actually would like to add onto what i already have.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I agree with you but maybe people mean as you age your tastes also change and that tattoo will be out dated or childish like.. IDK, I have 5, and the first one I got almost 20 years ago and even tho I still like it and it takes me back to that time in my life I do think that I have outgrown that one, but the others I don't feel that way about. I think one day I will have it covered but hubby says not too LOL..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• yes i have 2 that i regret...they dont look bad..but i regret the placement(behind my ears)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I have mixed feelings about tattoos and "regretting them"... I mean, if you get something stupid on a whim and its in a place that is obvious to people, then you are probably going to regret it at some point (like the ppl who get names of SOs, cartoon characters, or just got a bad ink job). But people who get things done tastefully and in a place where, if they ever DO regret it, are not going to be haunted by it, then I don't mind. I have one tattoo - and I spent a good six months trying to decide on what and where to get it, b/c I didn't WANT to end up regretting it. I finally decided on a Mandarin symbol for "eternal love", on my right shoulder blade. Its in a spot where, if I have to dress to impress, it won't show a lick, and I can't see it without a mirror so I won't regret having to see it everyday if I ended up hating it. I was just smart about it - so no, I don't regret it. (cont'd)
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 5:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• (cont'd) But I had a friend once who was dead set on getting Spiderman tattooed on his asscheek - I tried to talk him out of it but was unsuccessful, but luckily the artist he went to refused to do it (but he ended up getting it on his leg instead). I mean, stuff like that, you are bound to regret at SOME point. My DH has a picture of Frank the Bunny (from the movie Donnie Darko) on his leg. I know he will someday regret it, but I refrain from telling him that.... There's not much I or he can do about it now, so why call attention to it? The same goes for other people who say, "Oh, you'll regret that someday!" Well, there isn't much they can do about it after its done, so why even bother saying it?
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 5:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• HAHAHA! Such a good one! Yeah I can say I'm one of those people who regret my tattoo decision....Not that it's something not meaningful it was just so painful (maybe just the guy doing the tattoo) that I had to stop due to passing out and throwing up because of the pain! LOL It is supposed to be my daughter as a fairy on a flower on my lower back. It's a good size but half way finished! I know, how embarassing. I have had it for three years but can't seem to get the nerve up to get it finished. I would rather just pay the price and get it lasered off. All my friends that have tattoos are like my gosh you gave birth to a 8lb. 9oz. baby but you cant take the little pain of a tattoo, but to me it was worse than child birth! Could it be that the guy doing the tattoo was just too rough because I am actually pretty good with pain but this was something I couldn't take! I'm just not too educated on the tattoo situation.
    ashley_2187

Answer by ashley_2187 at 5:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i completley agree with you. i love my tatts, always have & always will & one day when im old, sure my skin might be wrinkled and they may look alittle funny but who gives a shit? im gonna be on my way out anyway, and they are going to be reminders of my younger years.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I would never regret my tattoo, its still significant to me. I only regret not getting more ($$$)...
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I only have one so far and I do not regret it at all. I have at least two more I will be getting at some point, and one other one I'd love to get, but I don't think it will be possible (it's a ribbon like an AIDS ribbon, but filled in with plaid instead of just red). The one I have and the ones I want all mean some thing significant to me, I've wanted them for a long time (well over a year). They will signify important people and events to me and I can't see myself ever regretting commemorating them (even if they get wrinkly in later years lol).
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I got my 1st tattoo (a Star of David) when I was a month from 39 and I will never regret it, not even if I live to be 110. My husband and I and all 4 of our sons have the matching tattoos (well, Star of Davids at any rate, they don't all look the same since we had different tattooists doing the work). My 2nd and 3rd tattoos I got when I was 42 (last summer) and my next will be next summer when I am 43. My one is on my right shoulder and the other is on my left foot and the new one will be on my right foot so I can cover them if I need to. I put a lot of thought in to my tattoos and they all have/will have deep meaning.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 5:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2009