What do you do with your toddler while you are taking a shower?

I am one of those people who just HAS to shower every day. And my hair freaks out if I shower at night, so I have to do it in the morning. BUT, I have a two year old, which makes showering a bit difficult. He always wakes up when I get up, it seems, no matter what time I get up, and my DH leaves for work early so I'm home alone w/ my DS. So getting up before him and getting it done never works (I got tired of running out with soap in my hair when I heard him through the monitor). But having him in the bathroom with me is a pain - I bring toys in for him and he'll be ok for a bit, but he always ends up getting into stuff, pulling out drawers, flushing the toilet, playing with makeup, and all that. So I was just wondering (since, obviously, everyone with a toddler deals with this at some point), what do others do when they have to shower with a toddler in the house?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My children are school aged now, but when they were toddlers, I would lock them in our bedroom with me, and turn the TV on to the Disney channel, so while I was in the shower, they were entertained and could see/hear me and I could hear them.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• DD's 20 months and she just plays with her toys in the other end of the tub. She LOVES showers! After I'm done washing my hair and shaving I stop the drain so she can play in the water more like a bath.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• He always showered w/ me, or I just tubbed w/ him.

dustinsmom1

Answer by dustinsmom1 at 5:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I got my toddler a Rubbermaid tub to put at the end of the bathtub, so he can take a bath while I'm showering. He sits there and plays with the bubbles and pours water out of his cup (his favorite thing, no matter how many bath toys I buy him, lol). It works for us. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I have them watch t.v. I had a problem for a while with my daughter because she would either stand outside the door screaming, or if I let her in try to pull down the shower curtain, take my clothes and throw them in shower, try to get in, and then immediately out again and scream the entire time she was doing all of this. She is the same way with waking up as soon as I get up and my husband also goes to work early, however if I managed to get in before she woke up I would never get out before I was done to get her out of her crib, a few minutes of crying in there isn't going to hurt her.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I never took a shower or bath when my DH was not home. I guess I would put him in a playpen with toys and books to look at?
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My DD also showers with me. Or I put up the gate so she can't get out of the living room (totally baby proof) and give her toys, puzzles, etc. and I can hear her if she needs me. Never had an issue, but I prefer to have her in there with me, and she likes it too, so 99% of the time that is what we do.
    Anonymous

• I put my children in the playpen when I needed to have them safe but couldn't supervise for a little while.- when I was showering or using the bathroom, or when I was mixing something complicated in the kitchen, for example. The playpen held toys that they could only play with when they were in the playpen. They never complained about being in there.

Answer by Bmat at 5:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I also used the play pen. i would move it into my bedroom with their fave toys and they would play basically right by the bathroom door (which was open) while i showered.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• DragonRiderMD, where were you a couple of years ago when I SO needed that idea, LOL! If we ever have another one......

OP-At 20 months, I'd put him in the playpen in front of the TV, and hurry like crazy. Be aware that this only works until he can climb out which was 22 months or so for ours. I like the Rubbermaid idea a lot!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2009