Epidural and backpain after!

I am just wondering if it is just me or if any other moms have experienced backpain after having an epidural. I had my daughter back in 2005 and the epidural helped tremendously with pain after I had been induced on wednesday and finally got the epidural FRIDAY! Yes I was induced on wednesday sent home thursday morning (was not moving along) and came back thursday evening and delivered friday at 3:30 pm! But after the delivery I noticed pressure in my back and if I bent over I was hardly able to stand back up straight! I have had this problem since then. Even laying down in bed, it takes a few minutes to be able to breathe normally because the pain is so excruciating. This pregnancy hasn't helped it at all. Just putting pressure on the area hurts, like touching my spine in my lower back. I can't even begin to think about them using the same area for an epidural, but I'm very scared about the pain of natural labor!

ashley_2187

Asked by ashley_2187 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have had three epidurals. One in 2005,2007,2008 and my back has sharp pains that go through it sometimes and it goes to my chest and its hard to move or breath.
    youngmom2004

Answer by youngmom2004 at 5:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i had pains for about a week idk if it was really related to the epi or just giving birth but if your back is really hurting that bad you should of informed your doctor and you still should be telling your doctor about this they could of done it wrong and could be irriversable by now ..
    Anonymous

• I have almost the SAME thing as you. I go in and have a deep tissue massage to relieve the pain. They said it is built up scar tissue and VERY possible it is from epi. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Yes I have heard about this and other horror stories of an epidural from my child birth classes. I have never had one myself nor will. My hat goes off to all of you willing to have one. I am more chicken of that then the labor pain! LOL But I have been lucky to have short labors in the past and I am really hoping this one is the same.
    CheyanneW

Answer by CheyanneW at 5:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• YES! My back was sensitive for years afterward. And even now will be sensitive if I have a really rough day. My "baby" is 5! I also suffered from an agonizing spinal headache for over a month after DS was born. UGH! However...for me, with sitting there for 32 hours in labor...I'd take that discomfort over the agony of child birth anytime. I was actually RESTED and able to care for my son after I had him. Unlike my first birth where I was unmedicated, unrested, cut, the baby was pried out of me with forceps and I had to sit on an inflatable donut for a month!
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 6:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• It is very common for the after effects of an epidural to last more than a year.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2009