Christmas music in public schools?

I didn't know this was allowed but my daughter came in saying she sang the song about Jesus being born in the manger.

I am happy to hear this school doesn't squash out the natural way of life for most students, how is this still allowed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Who cares. Are you, or aren't you glad it's not?
    Anonymous

• I for one don't see a problem with it. Its music its not like the song is preaching to the kids telling them to believe a certain way.
    youngmom2004

Answer by youngmom2004 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• thats what i always worry about..with all the different religions i dont want my child growing up and not knowing the christmas story but i dunno if public school will allow certain things because of religion..am i gana have to send my kids to church just to learn the beginning... and like secret santa at school i wonder if i will affend a jew if i send a christmas tree item...lol..someone clear this up for me..
    Anonymous

• Its nothing to worry about because the public schools are pretty good at being politically correct in recognizing the different cultures.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 5:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't have a problem with Christmas songs about santa and christmas trees, but I think I WOULD have a problem with relgious songs, to be honest. I simply don't believe in that, and even though I have every intention of allowing my son to learn about the different religions, I want him to get that from ME, and not from his school...

And before anybody starts hating on me for this answer, ask yourself this question. Would you have a problem with your child coming home singing an Islamic song? I'll bet you would. It's the EXACT same thing.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• That is decidedly religious, not about Christmas. There's a difference.

Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 7:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Well singing about Jesus wont teach them the "begining". And I guess it could be a problem if they fail to include the real meaning of Christmas (nonreligious version).
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• There are religion less songs they could be singing instead. I'd rather not have them sing religious songs at school; what if a muslim child is uncomfortable?

Better to stick with Jingle Bells; Rudolph; Deck the Halls; etc...leave Silent Night for the parents to decide.
    Anonymous

• Would you have a problem with your child coming home singing an Islamic song? I'll bet you would. It's the EXACT same thing.

NO but I am more tolerant than you are though. I have no problem the public school giving my child a well rounded education. I am not an expert on Islam why not leave the teach up to the professionals? you seem to have a problem with Christians so you have to make sure sensor hate is what your child learns
    Anonymous