How many of you went straight from infant carrier carseat to FFing only seat?

I see so many people say their kids were too big to RF in their seats and that they couldn't RF longer and their kids are like barely one or even under age one. I don't understand since my son is 100% for height at age 2.5(42 inches) and his seat wasn't all THAT expensive..heck his $50 seat lasted him RFing until age 2, how is it that people CAN'T RF because of size??

Do you guys not use a convertible???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used a convertible with both my kids. DD outgrew her carrier by 5 mos, so I was obviously NOT going to face her forward at that age.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I was the same as Krysta, started my DD in her infant carrier she is in the 95th%, and she was too heavy for her infant seat by 6 months, so I bought her a convertable. I still turned her FF at 13 months, though. Pediatrician told me it was time, same w. car seat installer lady at the hospital.
    Anonymous

• I never used the infant carrier mine went right into a rf convertible and stayed there until they hit the height limit for rf and then I turned them around in the same seat. My 4.5 year old and 2.5 year old are still in the only car seat I ever bought for them and I paid about $150 for each one. The 4.5 year old is almost too tall for his convertible so I will have to put him in a belt positioner soon.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My son had 2 infant carriers in the first 4 months of his life. Both of them were failures. The first even a tech couldn't install right and the second stopped snapping into its base. We bought him a convertable seat at that point and have never looked back.
    My daughter who is due in April will start in a convertable seat.
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• my dd is 4mos and 19 pounds her rf car seat only goes to 22 pounds her doc told me just just hurry up and get a ff car seat .. but i donno...
    Zandrialeann

Answer by Zandrialeann at 9:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Some might have ran into the problem of the child did fit but would kick the back seat to my the car seat move. Thats what my son did and a FF one was the only option.
    Anonymous

• I never used a convertible. I never heard of ERF til cafemom. I've mentioned it to a number of people and I get a lot of weird looks, it's just not heard of where I'm from - it's normal to go from the infant carrier to a regular FF seat when the kids are 1 year AND 20 lbs. Shoot, even our doctor had never heard of ERF!
    Anonymous

• My one year old still fit in her carrier. We switched her to a convertible. BUT I will point out some convertibles aren't great. My 2 year old has at least another year rf in a true fit. We would have had to ff her at 16 months in a Britax Roundabout. I know, because we had one, and I was sooooo ticked. We bought the true fit for her, and one for the baby. It's a pretty sweet seat.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• MOST children can not fit RFing in an infant seat for the full 12 months MOST kids outgrow the 22lbs infants eats by atleast height by 4-7 months. At that point a child MUST be RFed til atleast 12 and 20lbs. This is the POINT of convertibles. If a carseat MOVES when a child presses on the seat with their feet then the seat is NOT installed correctly. Certified carseat techs will install a seat FFing when it is legal, but it is MUCH safer to RF as long as possible. PLEASE do not buy a FFing seat for a 4 months old, yuor doctor is NOT a carseat tech and has NO carseat training. Your child would DIE in an accident at 4 months an FFing.

tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:46 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• This was NOT about ERFing as much as it is about watching the limits height and weight on your seat AND knowing the legal limits to FF. ALL states either have the 12 months and 20lbs law OR the proper usage law...and there are NO seats that say they can be used FFing before 12 months and 20lbs. PLEASE research convertible carseats.

OH and for the mom whose 4 year old is getting too big for the convertible...you don't have to by a booster you can get a seat like the Graco Nautilus that harnesses to 65lbs and then boosters later, the harness straps are MUCH taller than convertibles.
    JOIN the carseat safety group for carseat help!
    tabi_cat1023