How can I get rid of acne under the skin and all over body safely?

I was the lucky kid that never got pimples so I don't know anything about acne. This is my second pregnancy and I've had pimples everywhere since I found out I was pregnant (I'm 28 weeks). They are literally EVERYWHERE, and most of them are under my skin and very painful. I use Noxema facial cleanser and oil-free moisturizer and make-up, but I was told acne meds/creams were dangerous during pregnancy. Is this true? If so, how can I safely improve my skin? If it IS safe and I was misinformed, any suggestions on what is good to use for combination skin? Some of the blemishes have been around for months and are very painful. I'm also really dreading holiday pictures! Thanks girls!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Acne meds are dangerous while you're pregnant, it gets absorbed into your skin. Use tea tree oil, you can get it @ Target or Whole Foods to control oils while your pregnant. Origins makes a great all nat tea tree oil face cleanser i used while I was pregnant.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i wouldn't use noxema all over your body- not because of the baby, but because its not likely to do anything.
    this is "Pregnancy Acne" and it is cause by a hormone surge. it should go away after a while, but it is a pain! i experienced this with baby # 2 (not with 1 or 3)... treat it like any upset skin, make sure that you aren't doing anything that will further upset it. i found that the "Neutrogena Acne Free Body Wash" it is designed to treat breakouts that are not localized to your face... it will not completely clear it, but it should help. next appointment, make a point of talking to your OB about it- mine got so bad that I asked for a script that would help it. for the life of me i can not remember what it was. by the end of my 2nd trimester it had finally run its course, and cleared up on its own.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yeah, unfortunately salicylic acid - which is in most acne treatments is a no-no when pregnant.

My OB said I could use a low 2% benzol peroxide - still not the most effective, but better than nothing. You can also use clay masks.

Let me know if you find anything for the deep cystic acne - I have yet to have anything short of prescribed antibiotics do the job (which I can't take when pregnant).
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 6:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2009