• In the Spotlight:

how to use a self cleaning oven function

if you have a self cleaning oven, do you need to put any cleaning products on the mess befor you set the cleaning function? and when i push clean will it tell me how long befor its done? and does it smell when its cleaning? like should i put the kids to bed befor i run it?

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 5:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• No cleaning products needed. You hit it and then it will do a countdown of the timer, just like you would use one when baking a cake or something. It lasts like 3 hours I think and it basically just makes it really really hot so anything stuck in there burns off (so it's like ash) so it's easy to wipedown or whatever. I don't rememeber there being any smell when we used ours .
    Anonymous

• No products, REMOVE THE RACKS first or they will be ruined. All the bright shiny chrome that makes the slide smoothly will burn off. Mine does make a horrible smell when I'm using it. I generally start it on a day when I can be oiutside working and I leave the windows open.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• No cleaners, it gets up to like 500 degrees and burns everything off. You'll have to wipe down the interior when it's done & cooled. If you're going to run it, I'd honestly plan to be out of the house, not after the kids are in bed - the dirtier it is the worse it's going to smell. Have all your windows open, with fans pushing the air out them if possible. My old stove took 4-5 hours, and then still had to cool down before it would unlock - I opted to NOT have the self-cleaner when I bought a new one!
    Anonymous

• is it safe to be out of the house when the stove is that hot?
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 10:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2009