My 6 month old always gets up at 3:30AM. How can I get him to stay asleep?

even if he eats cereal before bed or has a bottle he wakes up

dragonflybaby82

Asked by dragonflybaby82 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies are supposed to wake up at night. It's normal for children to wake up until they are 3. It is hardwired in their brains to nurse durning the night and to wake to make sure they are next to their mother and everything is ok. We are mammals and have hardwiring in our brains for behaviors just like other mammals. Just because in recent history babies can survive artificial feeding and sleeping alone the hardwiring is still there.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• You can't, you just wait. He'll give up that feeding when he's ready to. Right now he's still growing... both of mine were up several times a night at that age.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• He's a baby. Babies wake up. He's probably hungry, Give him a bottle, rock & snuggle him, and put him back to bed. You can't "make" a baby sleep, at 6 months my son was waking up 3-6 times a night. Consider yourself lucky he's only waking up at 3:30 and not every couple of hours.
    Anonymous

• Hey OP, IMO it's important for your child to get some sleep! =) Try giving a pacifier and see if it's just the suckling that he wants. You can also read The Baby Whisperer books by Tami Hogg to get some good ideas for getting your son to sleep through the night. According to her, a child at that age who wakes up does so out of habit. I really recommend the books, especially "The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems." Good luck!
    fanficbug

Answer by fanficbug at 9:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Let me add something on that I forgot to mention--make sure your baby is at least 10 lbs and consumes roughly 25-30 oz's of milk a day (that's about 6-8 breastfeedings a day) before you try getting him/her to sleep through the night. I bet your 6 month old is doing that now, though! =)

Here's the pertinent information from that book:

If it normally takes your baby twenty minutes to feed at night, when he wakes up crying for the breast or a bottle, and yet he only feeds for five minutes or takes barely an ounce, give him a pacifier instead. The first night, he'll probably stay up the entire twenty minutes with the pacifier in his mouth before falling back to sleep. The next night, it may cut back to ten minutes. The third night, he might fidget in his sleep at the time he'd normally get up for a feed. In other words, you're substituting the oral stimulation of the pacifier for the bottle or breast.
    fanficbug

Answer by fanficbug at 10:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Unfortunately there's nothing you can do. If he's waking up and 3:30 he most likely needs something...probably food. So feed him and put him back to bed. My 4 month old just started waking up only once a night at 4:30 usually. Before he would wake up at 2, eat and then go back to bed, then wake up again at 5 eat and go back to bed. Out of no where he completely cut out the 2:00 meal and would go straight until 4:30 or 5. I didn't do a thing differently...its just part of him growing up.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i know babies get up to eat and such, this my 5th child- none of my other kids would wake up in the middle of the night at this age, i thought maybe him being a boy unlike my other kids who are all girls, would be a weid reason. he hasnt been waking up in the middle of the night for long time, he used to eat go to sleep and not wake up till at least 6. now all of a sudden he gets up and wants to play, wont eat or take a binkie, he just wants to play....
    dragonflybaby82

Answer by dragonflybaby82 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Well...I could sday your girls were all oddballs. **grin**

He's quite normal. And will sleep when he is ready to. Anything you do will make you feel like you're doing something...but won't change what's wired in him. I don't care what the method...they sleep when they sleep DESPITE what we do.

Best thing a parent can do is pay attention to a child's sleep patterns and follow them.

But I will suggest...no before-bed cereal. The carbs tend to cause wakeups.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• dragonflybaby82, you can try the Supernanny technique if you'd like: http://www.supernanny.com/Advice/-/Your-toddler/-/Toddler-care/The-sleep-separation-technique.aspx
    fanficbug

Answer by fanficbug at 10:02 AM on Dec. 14, 2009