Should there be a tax right off for Homeschool parents?

First off I do not home school. I just think that if a family chooses to home school there child they should receive the support of the govt. The gov supplies public and private schools with money supplies (though it may be small) or rewards for doing well or even through the creation of new schools when schools are overwhelmed(Though it could be done more often). I think a home-school parent deserves support even if it only entails the ability to write of say 200 or 300 $'s of there supplies off at the end of the year. Even if it was limited to 'approved supplies' Like books and other teaching supplies such as globes, computer programs and there certification in states that require it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I do homeschool. What I would like is this, the amount that the school gets paid for schooling my child, I would like in vouchers for materials that I need to buy to homeschool my kids. I am not asking to not pay the taxes, I am simply asking for the like amount of money to buy the same types of things for home that would be purchased at school.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 7:48 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I think the state should pay the family the average amount they spent per student. In AZ they spend $5000+. That should be given to the family as a tax credit to use however they want.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• We home school, we can deduct all educational expenses but we still pay our "school" tax money and we get nothing from the school system...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• EVERYONE pays the "school" tax. whether or not they have children currently enrolled, if ONLY parents of students who had children attending district public schools the school would not have enough funding to operate (and ALL parents would be spending more in tax dollars than it would cost in tuition for private school). So, agentwanda- that is a moot point.

no, IMO there should be no further accommodation for families that decide to HS.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• you mean a write off?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Obby, she's not proposing we not pay the school tax. and what do you mean "further"
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I am for Vouchers 100%...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Personally, I feel that since you chose not to take advantage of sending your kids to the public school, the cost of home schooling should be your responsibility.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous Personally, I feel that since you chose not to take advantage of sending your kids to the public school, the cost of home schooling should be your responsibility.

great. I feel that since you chose to buy a house, the cost of its interest should be yours.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Sure! And an annual tax write off for people who don't need the fire department or the police department. And another write off for highway maintenance for people who don't have cars and never go on highways.

Do you see how silly this gets? Government exists to run the "commons". We can have govenment or anarchy...

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 PM on Dec. 10, 2009