I'm totally freaking out right now...hopefully somebody has used this stuff!

I have a bacterial infection in the vaginal region, and the doctor prescribed with with Vandazole, which is a vaginal cream you insert. The non brand name is metronidazole. The doctor gave it to me knowing I'm pregnant, I doubled checked safety with the nurse, then AGAIN when I picked it up at the pharmacy. However, when I read the pamphlet insert it said that few studies have been done, but in a few cases there has been untrauterine death. Now I'm totally on edge because do I take the stuff? I assume a doctor, a nurse, and pharmacist wouldn't all doom me...but should I get a fouth opinion? Has anybody else used this stuff during pregnancy? (Most websites said it's not thought to be harmful during pregnancy, but not enough studies to say for sure) But at the same time...the infection can cause a rupture of the membranes, and there is only one type of drug to treat it apparently. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It may be a case of the risk of the treatment is less than the problems the infection can cause.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I used it during early pregnancy, I was fine...but you have to decide what you're comfortable with. Have you researched any homeopathic remedies?
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 7:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i had also had an infection while pregnant and was given anti biotics for it the German doctors wouldn't allow me to insert anything and i also research what i could do at home for clear it and they said not to insert creams,etc.
    Your doctor wouldn't do anything to harm you and every doctor has different ways of treating their patients,but when in doubt go seek another doctors opinion you never have to settle at the end of the day it's you and your baby that is important here.
    best of luck
    laika

Answer by laika at 7:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I agree with Gaiil. You need to treat the infection. You cannot have it linger, the risks are too great. Consult your doctor AGAIN or look up complications from untreated bacterial vaginal infections on unborn fetuses. Good luck with your baby. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 7:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• OP--I just called ANOTHER pharmacist in my paranoid state of mind...she looked it up and read the package insert at their pharmacy...and is a category B drug which means no huge studies have been done, but with the pregnancy women it's been used in, there is no evidence to indicate any risk. Maybe I have an outdated insert? She said she read the insert in the box they had plus looked it up...so I feel a bit better now!
    Anonymous

• I had to take Flagyl (it's the same thing) while pregnant and it was fine. My OB/Gyn is super cautious about what I eat and take while pregnant and if it didn't raise any red flags for her, then I wouldn't worry at all. This medicine is for a bacterial infection and I would be much more concerned about the infection during pregnancy than this particular medicine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I had this infection while i was pregnant and went into preterm labor at 5 mths pregnant. I ended up having a c-section to deliver my son because my fluid was low(actually it was completely gone but didnt know that going in) and while they aren't sure it seems that the preterm labor caused a slow leak of fluids that eventually drained them. I could have lost my son twice if it wasn't for the hospital.

I used the same medications and didnt have any problems...

The risk of the medication outways the risk of the infection by far!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2009