eating out with my 23 month old son

My 23 month old son drives us mad in public he wont sit still gets out of his high chair tries to grab everything off the table, throws tantrums if he doesn't get his own way, my husband and I always end up fighting at the end of our outting.
He's great at eating at home but in public he likes to test us any advice would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to keep his attention you can't expect him to sit there and have nice dinner conversation with you two. You need to bring crayons, play-doh, other small toys and things his attention lasts at most 15minutes, try also taking him on a short walk before the food comes (Hey! It'll be there when you come back!) You can point things out around the restaurant and tell him how he should behave before you get there, and praise him for what he's doing right..
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• don't really know how to fix it- we never went out with our kids after we tried once or twice. We felt that they needed to be older-and didn't want to force other people to deal with our kids. I think it's pretty normal for them to act like that though so...?
    *we never took them to movies either until they were like 5 or 6 and could sit pretty quietly through them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• How is he getting out of his high chair? - they should have buckles on them.

But yeah, I'm going to second the crayon idea, or moving a bit before the food comes...and try to go to places that are family friendly...that will give your kid crayons or a little snack while waiting for the food.
    Anonymous

• OP, I have SO been in your shoes, and buckles are no match for a squiggly toddler, LOL! The only thing that I can tell you is that we stopped taking him out to eat at that age (unless I had some friends for "back-up" so I could eat) and he's better at almost 3 y/o. His attention span is getting longer, social skills are better, using utensils is better. I'd say get a babysitter if you can, but even if you can't, know that this will be a lot better in another 6-8 months. Meanwhile, we bring home take-out. Hang in there, Mama!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:47 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• How is he getting out of his high chair? - they should have buckles on them. The high-pitched screaming comes to mind.....

But yeah, I'm going to second the crayon idea, Probably eats & throws/drops them... or moving a bit before the food comes... a minute with a toddler seems like a year when he's fussy, LOL! and try to go to places that are family friendly...that will give your kid crayons or a little snack while waiting for the food.He was also rarely more hungry than he was "wanting to explore". Hehe!

But they grow out of it, thank God! :) BTW, Just teasing you, Anon. Don't take offense!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• haha.. sounds like how it goes with my son - yeah they make buckles but he gets that scream going too, yeah, we bring playdough and books and crayon but they have yet to work, EVER... we just stopped going out because it was too much to handle for us.. I can't expect my 2 year old to sit still, he rarely sits still at home, he's the most active little boy, yet to even sit down for a movie or commercial for that matter.. I figure I will try it again when he's 3. til then, we just don't go out to eat. it saves us money anyway.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Thanks ladies for all your replies,
    I've done the go for a walk before hand, brought crayons and cars for him lasts 5 seconds.
    I guess he's just a normal little busy boy.
    It's very hard to avoid eating out as we're moving soon and travel alot so I guess with time he'll get there, at least we're not alone.
    He gets out of the high chair, his crib you name he gives it a go.
    I have a little G.I joe on my hands :)
    Anonymous

• Can you let him sit in a booster? Make a big deal out it, like say oh you are such a big boy, you get a big boy seat. Also try to go out at off times like 2-4pm that way the restaurant won't be crazy busy and you won't have to wait. Good luck and remember he'll grow out of it.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2009