battling depression...thinking of meds....what are some you take?

how does it make you feel..i tried one med a long time ago and said i never would again...it made me feel weird and i couldnt even concentrate enough to read while on it...so i trashed it...i had a miscarriage this week and have been on hyrocodone for pain...what i have noticed is that not only does it make the cramping stop..i seem to feel "happy" while i am on it. i know it is not a ant depressant...is there anything that is that is similar..with out the risk of becoming addicted? i am leary of pills an meds of any kind. but i am beginning to think it might be worth trying. i have tried talking about my problems but it doesnt help. what can i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Health

• I take abilify and seroquel. They have seemed to help with controlling my moods a bit better. No side effects...Though seroquel does make u sleepy, so take before bed. I have yet to find something that makes me "happy."
    dani2780

Answer by dani2780 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I won't take anything long term so I take 5-HTP when I feel a depression coming on.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• what is htp?
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry that happened to you, Vicodin makes you numb to your emotions, it makes you not care about your sadness or your problems, it's not a fix... It really depends on you... I took prozac and xoloft and celexa all at different times. I'm very sensitive to medicine so I take a really low dose. Trust your healthcare provider, and don't be afraid to start with half the prescribed dose or cut it down to half if you have to.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I had post-partum-depression and took a generic of paxil that was very effective for me.

When you think about it, you are experiencing some major hormone changes right now on top of the grieving, so you might have PPD like I did.

...anyway, I agree it's something to talk to your doctor about. It's hard to experiment with your own body to see what works best, but you are wise to avoid potentially addictive drugs.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I have been on 5-HTP for about 1 1/2 years now, and it has worked wonderfully for me (with no side effects).
    5-HTP is a herbal antidepressant which aids your body in producing more serotonin. It can be bought over the counter at many health food stores, such as Whole Foods. The Jarrow brand has been very consistent for me. My naturopath told me that dosing can range from 50 mg. once a day to 100 mg. 3 times a day. Start at the lowest dosage & work your way up to what works for you. It takes about 2-3 weeks to reach full effectiveness, so wait that long before increasing the dosage each time.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 3:59 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Nothing is going to make you feel like vicodin....and vicodin is addictive, especially to someone who is sad and stressed. You need to talk to your ob, I'm sure they can recommend a psychiatrist that specializes in miscarriages and PPD. With anti-depressents its individualized and a bit of trial and error.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Dec. 11, 2009