Why does my sugar cookie icing taste wierd?

Ingredients
powdered sugar, milk, almond extract, light corn syrup

acakes

Asked by acakes at 8:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• instead of almond extract u should try vanilla....you may not even need the corn syrup...milk p sugar and vanilla is good...
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 8:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Will the icing still be smooth and stackable?
    acakes

Answer by acakes at 8:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I use almond extract all the time, I prefer the flavor.
    What tastes weird about it?
    Anonymous

• yeah..it should be....just add more powdered sugar and less...liquid...you could even omit the milk and use butter or crisco to get that nice decorators frosting...
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 8:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I don't know how to explain the taste. Only after I am chewing the icing with the cookie, will it taste good.
    acakes

Answer by acakes at 8:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• The strange taste doesn't taste anything like the ingredients separated.
    acakes

Answer by acakes at 8:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I just use powdered sugar, butter and milk... or rice milk and vanilla.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Is the milk past it's prime? Are any of the other ingredients old, that they've gotten stale or something, or have odors from anything else gotten into any of the 4 ingredients? I personally hate almond extract, but corn syrup tastes odd to me too, even when it's fresh. If you're concerned about it, go buy new (fresh) ingredients.
    Anonymous

• Taste your powdered sugar....sometimes powdered sugar will pick up a taste, an odor, from things around it. I've had off-flavored bags of powdered sugar and they affect the way the icing tastes.

Personally, I'd skip the light corn syrup and add a dash of salt and enough milk to make it a thin spreading consistency. It'll harden nice and smooth fairly quickly and you can stack the cookies.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Either your powdered sugar has absorbed smells/tastes or your milk has went wonky. My standard classic buttercream frosting recipe is 1 cup Crisco (I buy the sticks), 1 box domino's 10x sugar (powdered sugar, but sifted finer), 2 TBSP water and 1TBSP meringue powder (makes the frosting "crust" when it sits).  Add any combination that you like of butter extract (my fave), vanilla, or almond extract.  Because nothing it it will spoil it can sit at room temp on cookies or cakes with no fear of spoilage. 

karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2009