I think I may be depressed? Could this just be situational depression?

I get super stressed out with things and I start to shut down. I have to go into the bathroom and cry or go somewhere to scream. I feel overwhelmed with my life. I have one child and she is in first grade. It is tough keeping up with all that goes on with her emotionally and mentally and keeping up with school stuff and extra activities she is into. Plus I am a full time student myself. I have tons on me with school. I also work part time. I am married and my husband is a student too. When we come home he checks out. The only thing he will do everyday is put the dog outside. I have to clean up everything and keep up with our child on top of everything else. He tells me to ask for help and to talk to him but when I do he tunes me out. He acts like he is listenging but then proves he doesn't the very next time I need him. He says he starts thinking about other things when I talk to him..So I am like then why ask me to share???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• OP: My nerves feel shot because I have no one to really talk to and my husband is getting on my nerves. He is pushy and wants things his way ALL the time. When I ever make one peep about being frustrated or wanting something my way he acts like a baby. He is so ALL or NOTHING. His way or no way. He can't be bothered to hear me out although he tells me he loves me dearly and wants me to share myself with him. Sometimes I ask him things and he won't respond. He will change the subject. I get made and ask wy and he says that he doesn't know what to say so he ignores me. When I am really busy with things around the house he will follow me around bugging me with little things and if I ever once don't seem like I am listening to him he throws a fit. I don't get these double standards. We have been to counseling already. We don't have a bad marriage but this is feeding my anxiety and me feeling lost. What should I do?
    Anonymous

• I am in the same boat.. my DH works and I stay home, but that's all he does. He's been trying harder, which is good.. it's like he throws me a bone every now and again ya know? I don't know.. so I guess I've been hanging around to see how this pans out. I can't justify dumping my marriage when things aren't exactly finished, when there's something to be saved..
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• you sound like you need a break. you should trying having a talk with your husband and telling him how you feel. tell him you are stressed and need him to help out with things because you can't do it all alone. then i suggest you take one day a week if you can to yourself to go shopping or get a facial. whatever is relaxing to you. because you deserve and a break.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 9:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I feel ya sister. I'm a student with two kids and a job as well. I get the same thing from my hubby. He has to know that you are not happy and you don't feel happy. You have spell things out for men or they just don't get it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• It sounds situational to me and not physiological. When you ask him to help then let it go. Don't do it for him so when he starts griping about things tell him to take care of it. Guys get away with not doing things bc we allow it. We get tired of telling them and then we do it. That enables them and get away with crap.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Awww... you sound just like me. I have two sons, ages 2 and 4, I am pregnant with twins, and I work full-time. My fiance is a full-time college student and our relationship hasn't been the greatest lately... like all of the other things going on aren't stressful enough. Honestly, I go in the bathroom to cry at least 3 times a week. lol... I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but you're NOT alone. Life with kids... and their fathers... can be very stressful.
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 11, 2009