Why aren't you supposed to lay flat on your back after the 20th week?

I know it cuts off certain bl0od sources and such to the baby, but can anyone give me any more info on this plz ;) 1st time mommy here!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• not only to the baby but it could cut off blood to certain part to you...I never listened to that though. I slept on my side, n back throughout the night...hard when ur ever growing belly makes a good nights sleep uncomfortable!
    Anonymous

• it cuts off oxygen level to baby, and gives poor circulation.....just not usually comfortable after awhile anyway
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i also had very bad sciatic nerve problems, and everytime i tried to lay on my back it would kill my right side
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• The weight of the uterus cuts off the blood vessel that takes blood back to your heart from your lower body, so it can cut off oxygen to everything down there, including the placenta, and thus the baby. If you're more comfortable lying on your back, though, an easy fix is to put a small pillow under one hip; you don't have to be completely on your side to counteract the weight of your uterus, it just has to be tilted a little bit.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i asked my ob the same question and he said not to worry ...if you're having trouble breathing or feeling light headed when on your back don't do it..and if you're sleeping it will wake you up so just don't worry..he said all these parenting magazines just give women a bunch of bologna to worry about...so I laid however with my singleton...here's one thing though laying on your left side I think it is is supposed to lower your bloodpreasure or somthing..with my twins I laid that way all the time trying to do everything I could to keep them in there as long as possible.
    feloniousbelle

Answer by feloniousbelle at 9:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My mw always says that your body will tell you if your position is wrong. So just do what's comfortable. I slept on my belly for about 25 weeks with both my DDs and everything is fine. If you feel like you cant breathe or something, then move.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yeah, also once your big enough, it's hard to want to sleep flat on your back - it just feels like you can't breath.

But you can be on your back, with some pillows and such propping you upright a bit (also good for that pesky pregnancy heart burn).
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• There's an artery that runs through your back (which you can sometimes feel if you lay flat on your back (preferrably not pregnant lol) If you press your abdomen, you may feel a pulse.
    Personally, I would lay whichever way was most comfortable for me! My boyfriend had a massive beanbag that I could lay on my belly with because it just sank in without putting any pressure on it at all. www.cordaroys.com/
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2009