did you have to take progesterone suppositories?

my first was early and born at 34weeks. doctor says the suppositories will ensure a full term baby but when i started taking them a month or so ago I got really bad cramps. they were so bad that i was always having to lay down, i couldn't stand without being hunched over, couldnt hold my son...i told her all of this and she said she highly doubted the cramps were from the medicine...but i stopped the medicine for a week just to see and the cramps have completely gone away. long story short i lost my insurance had to get on medi-cal (welfare) it hasn't kicked in and I am very worried but still scared and not wanting to take the medicine when i can actually afford it. Have you had a similar experience? What do you suggest? I dont want another preemee it was too risky and emotional...but I cant be hunched over everyday in pain when I need to be taking care of my son!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am on them, vaginally, and I don't think cramps is from that. I don't have cramps. I had a preemie (24 weeks) and a miscarriage and done been to the ER with this one as well. And mine aren't expensive. $30.00 a month? That's not expensive. And my ins doesn't pay for them bc it is a compound RX. And the life of my unborn child is priceless. My Dr said that I only have to take them for the first 12 weeks and I am 8 weeks now. Good luck! I also read that you can insert them rectally too. If it helps with the cramps, try it.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• If you can't tolerate the suppositories, try taking Prometrium. I tried suppositories for a week and they irritated me so badly, my doctor switched me to Prometrium pills, which was very easy. I only took them for the first trimester.
    Anonymous