can i give my baby milk?

I get WIC. My son uses more formula than they give me. He goes through 11-12 cans of formula a month and they only give you 10. I ran out tonight and my new checks don't start until saturday...and I can't afford a can of formula. My son is 6 months old and he eats 2nd foods...Can I give him whole milk in bottle tomorrow until I can get formula on saturday?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't make a habit out of it. Tomorrow call your local ministries sometimes people have donated their unused cans or they can give you money to buy some. I dont think that you really have an option here so yea you have to give him something.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• It's actually considered dangerous to give infants whole milk...it's not broken down so hard for babies to digest it can cause constipation and gas and bloating and it does not have the nutrions a baby needs since formula is the MAIN source of food and nutrients for infants. Also like when switching from one formula to another you must gradually introduce milk to the baby you can't just stop one and start another it can make the baby sick Normally you can go to your Ped or wic or dhhr food pantry one of those places and normally someone can help you out
    niknandyndom

Answer by niknandyndom at 10:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Do you get foodstamps? You can get formula on foodstamps.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My doc gets samples from formula companies that she gives away for free - maybe you can see if your doc can hook you up with samples of whatever you use.

My twins are 17 months and I waited over a year to start giving them milk because they were small and needed the goodness from the formula. I wish you nothing but luck...I can't imagine how hard things are for you right now.
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 10:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i woulldnt give my 6 month old whole milk, but you have no choice so like all the other ladies says dont make it a habit. make sure u budget out money for formula since u already know u dont get enough from wic. go to your wic office tell them u dont have anymore, i now when i had wic there was moms coming in all the time and they would give them a can or 2 extra.
    Anonymous

• No, you can't. WIC isn't meant to supply all of a child's formula, so you need to plan for that in your budget. Call a food pantry or shelter in the morning and they might have some to give you.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• You can't give a 6 month old milk. Call your local church or shelter and explain your problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 AM on Dec. 11, 2009