What is graphic design?

I am an artist at home; I was just curious.

zboys

Asked by zboys at 10:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• Mostly commercial and digital stuff - it's rare to find a designer that does ALL of these things but under graphic design falls:

Creating logos, designing business cards, print ad layout, signs, menus, invitations, magazine or newspaper layout, some do web design and simple animations.

I do mostly the digital illustration side of it - it's just what I'm best at, even though I majored in advertising.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• company logos, magazine covers, etc are graphic designs... umm, i guess the most basic way to put it is...take pictures(graphics) and put them together (design) to form new image ppl use graphic designers to create images that jump out at ppl. kinda like i was always told to make the 1st line on my resume bold and catchy so that person reading it will want to look into it further..
    niknandyndom

Answer by niknandyndom at 10:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• There are other lesser know specialities too. Package design. Promotional materials like posters, billboards, brochures, point of purchase product displays. The Sunday coupon supplements (known as FSI's). Book, catalogue, and magazine design and layout. Newspapers. The graphics for TV news programs. Transit maps. CD music covers. Instruction booklets. Anything combining text and graphics has someone behind it. I'm retired now, but it's a great field . Crazy deadlines, impossible clients... But when you put something together that really "sings" there's nothing like it. Then again I did promotion, lots of variety. I think I would have shot myself if I worked on phone books....
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 2:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2009