Was this rude of me?

My DD had a playdate with a classmate and her mother told me to come pick her up at 6pm because they had somewhere to go. So I get there at 6 or a few mins. after, and she told me that the girls were eating rice but she was making them some chicken nuggets to go with it. So I sat and waited for her to finish eating the rice, and then when I told my DD to get ready to go, and she starts putting on her shoes and coat, the mother asks if I want to wait another 5 mins. because she had included my DD when making them but my DD said she was full and so I declined. Now I'm wondering if I offended her and maybe I should've asked her to wrap up the nuggets when they were done.
But this is the other part of it: she was Hispanic and did not speak English so the whole time I was there waiting, we really couldn't conversate. Plus she gave me a specific time to come, so I would've thought that she would've had them eat before 6. Thoughts?

LadyEb

Asked by LadyEb at 10:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• you are way overthinking this. it's not rude she had enough to give the kids seconds or eat them herself. No biggie
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• You were not rude. :o)
    I have to agree you are over-thinking it, but I tend to do that too. I spend a couple of days a week at my girls' school and at night I lay in bed wondering if I said anything that would have offended anyone or did anything stupid, practically having a panic attack. lol
    I hope your daughter had a good time.
    prdill08

Answer by prdill08 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• naw you were fine
    Anonymous

• I don't think you were rude. Maybe the mom just said 6 so you would be there early - on time instead of on time - late LOL
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I'm still stuck on the part where you picking up her kid for a play date......I have 3 girls that are teens and when they were little the other parent(or nanny) dropped off their kid at my house for a play date and vice versa.

Anonymous

• it's ok, really. my daughter has a best friend who is from mexico and her parents do not speak english. my son speaks spanish so i make him translate or sometimes the uncle will translate for us. but, my daughter is a picky eater and would not eat at their house. one day i went to pick her up, the mom was yelling at us basically saying my daughter was not allowed to come back if she refused to eat their food. seems it was really really offensive to turn it down, so through some workings we have decided my daughter will eat something each and every time she is there, and mom will try to not get offended anymore. i would not think you did anything wrong, the latino heritage i think is very relaxed and very open, they live very liberally with food and drink and sharing. so maybe in the future, arrive on time but expect to spend some time with the family before taking her home.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:36 AM on Dec. 11, 2009