My child suddenly began waking at night. Help

My 6 month old has always been a great sleeper. She was sleeping through the night at 6 weeks until about a week ago. She wakes several times at night suddenly and I don't know what to do!! She's teething, of course, but even this has never been a problem at night, never.

ritajo04

Asked by ritajo04 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies change their sleep schedules all the time. Just when you think they are set in their ways...BOOM they surprise you and do something totally different. I would assume though that they teething is probably the cause. Are you giving her anything for it? Tylenol, teething tablets? Maybe she's waking up because she's uncomfortable or in pain. Try giving her something before she goes to sleep (if you aren't against medicine) and see if that helps. Maybe a little tooth is ready to pop through the gum.
    Anonymous

• Thank you. Yes, when I notice her biting her hands or toys I give her orajel and motrin as much as allowed, especially before bedtime but i am just bumfuzzled at her behavior because like I said, I have never had problems with her sleep schedule, she even falls asleep on her own after her nighttime bath and bottle and I don't know how to get her back on track...
    ritajo04

Answer by ritajo04 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• It's also growth spurt time.

Her sleep patterns will constantly change with spurts, teething, and milestones.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• It's growth spurt time. And sleep patterns are purely temporary in the first year. The fact that she hasn't done this before now is nothing more than pure dumb luck. **grin**

Keep to your routines. Don't expect or get used to any patterns for now. You cannot MAKE her sleep. She'll do it when ready.

Pick up "The No Cry Sleep Solution" for some reassurance.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2009