help

My best friend of 17 years just wrote me an email saying that she has grown in the Lord and that my swearing is to much for her. She has never mentioned this was a problem and I don't do it often and usually it's joking around and not at all directed at her. I know I shouldnt swear but it happens. I feel like shes breaking up with me it was sooo out of the blue. Does anyone know a verse that says love everyone even if they are not perfect. Thanks for your help.

Fairy_Wings

Asked by Fairy_Wings at 11:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• just let her be what she wants to be. if she wants to cut off a friendship because of other's sin, she will soon find out she will have no friends christian or not. we all carry sin, even her and no sin is so much worse than the other and certainly not for her to be the judge of. she is herself committing sin by judging you because of it rather than helping you work through it. i am a christian and i cuss like a sailor. God has yet to release me of that indulgence, so i am enjoying it while i can. really, i would just let her go and do her thing and figure it out for herself. she is a new christian, she thinks she knows it all now and feels special. the Lord will soon show her where and why and how she is wrong.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:06 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I'm guessing that your friend already knows that nobody is perfect and to show love. I honestly think that finding a scripture verse to show her isn't the answer. It sounds to me like she just needs some time and space to process all the thoughts and feelings that come along with "growing in the Lord." I know from personal experience that when you feel God moving in your life that things that didn't offend you before can suddenly become offensive in a deep way, and it can be spiritually overwhelming. When God moves in your life there is so much that takes place and it takes time to process it all. If she seems to be rejecting you, or if she starts doing other things that seem wonky, just give her time and space. Remember that what she is going through is between her and God, no matter what she says to you don't take it personally, even if it's about you. Let her and God work it out and even it out in the end.
    Anonymous

• Rather than trying to hit her over the head with scripture you respect her wishes and cut out the offensive language? It seems to me that a friendship of 17 years is worth that.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I think it's polite to try not to swear around people who it bugs.

Just e-mail her back, and say "now that I know it bugs you, I'll do my best not swear around you....hope you still want to hang out, love ya..."

I don't think it needs to be a high drama thing. Friends can change beliefs, but you can still be friends.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• i was going to suggest that instead of verses that you try to accomade her. and ask her to do the same for you. before I became muslim, i used to curse like a sailor and so did all my friends, when i started to read Allah's words , i slowly started changing and one of those things was cursing. I no longer curse like a sailor..can't say im perfect but.. i can say that i try very hard to watch what i say and my friends noticed. some of them curbed their language, some didn't.. however i didn't stop my freindships with them.. instead i learned that my journey is my own and i can't stop anyone from who they are. i can simply be a good example and hope they catch on... and when they get out of hand with the cursing.. I tell them.. i need to call you back and i simply hang up the phone. I think you should compromise with your friend and she with you..and both help each other.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• There is a verse that she could have read that says 2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
    I think its ok for u all to be friends but as far as hanging out and stuff i dont think so I think God was us to be with other believers but help those that dont believe....
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:06 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Anon #1 has the best answer to this. She is absolutely right. I also encourage you to try to cut back on the language too. Its not only respectful and honorable to your friend but to God too. :-) I think she loves you enough to tell you that it bothers her and she cannot be around it. She was being open and honest and that is wonderful! I wouldn't get too upset over this and if you cherish your friendship you will respect her wishes. Love believes the best in everyway. You are blessed to have a friend be a best friend for that long. It would be heartbreaking for something like this to break a friendship.
    I lost one of 9 yrs almost 7 months ago and it hurts.. I still cry sometimes.. not like the first 2 months but it hurts mostly because I miss her. You don't want to go through that! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Ephesians4: 31 to 5:5
    Let all malicious bitterness and anger and wrath and screaming and abusive speech be taken away from YOU along with all badness. 32 But become kind to one another, tenderly compassionate, freely forgiving one another just as God also by Christ freely forgave YOU.....3 Let fornication and uncleanness of every sort or greediness not even be mentioned among YOU, just as it befits holy people; 4 neither shameful conduct nor foolish talking nor obscene jesting, things which are not becoming, but rather the giving of thanks. 5 For YOU know this, recognizing it for yourselves, that no fornicator or unclean person or greedy person—which means being an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of the Christ and of God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Hmm, this sounds odd to me.  I'm an Atheist and my best friend is a Christian.  We've been best friends for 32 years (ever since we were 14).  We've had plenty of disagreements over the years, many of them over really stupid things but religion has never been one of them.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:35 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Well now you know and if shes a friend you want to keep, tell her you will try , --- after all if she finds it offensive , why woud you want to offend her, If she knows you are trying hopefully she will be tollerant of lapses, and now you know , you will be understanding of her pulling away with it gets out of hand.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 9:30 AM on Dec. 11, 2009