Juice

My DD is 4 1/2 months old. Can I start giving her some juice?

stepmom2boys407

Asked by stepmom2boys407 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as you water it down.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Thank You. Any suggestions on what kind to start with?
    stepmom2boys407

Answer by stepmom2boys407 at 11:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Why do you want to give her juice? It's just empty calories. She doesn't NEED it. All you are doing is training her to have a sweet tooth. I wouldn't do it.
    Anonymous

• I was just asking. She is eating a liitle cereal now and was wondering if I could introduce some juice to help her with different tastes. First time mommy here.
    stepmom2boys407

Answer by stepmom2boys407 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't give juice. Only breastmilk or formula for that age.
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 12:25 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Juice is not needed and actually not very good for them. Even as toddlers, their juice intake should be very limited. At 4.5 months your baby should be on human milk or formula exclusively... but since you've already introduced cereal, stick to that until 6 months and then start with fruits and veggies (fresh, if at all possible). Wait on juice until at least a year... it's much sweeter than even whole fruit and although I understand wanting to expose baby to new tastes... you don't want to accustom her to that much sweet before she's tried what real fruit is like.

Sweet potato is the only food I'd consider before 6 months. Just bake it, mash it and serve. Great new taste, loads of good nutrients (including fiber and iron) and really low on the allergy scale.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:34 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• WIC started giving me Gerber juice when DD was 4 months old so that's when she started getting it. Make you own decision, please! This is your child, if you want her to have juice, give her juice. If you decide to wait, then wait as long as you want! I made the decision to give my daughter juice and she's just fine! Not overweight and, in fact, she still prefers milk over juice. Do what you think is right for your baby and don't let anyone change your mind.
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 12:59 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I don't think it is bad, but in moderation. I gave my daughter juice once in a great while as a "treat". It's very bad for their teeth and leads to a lot of dental problems so be careful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• They really don't need juice at young, usually it's good to give them juice if they are constipated then the juice will help them poop
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:36 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• If you want to start juice I was told by my son's doctor that apple juice or pear juice are good starters. They say they dont need the juice that young but my son's doctor just told us to mix it about half and half with water. Its up to you its your child. My son is 8 months old and loves a nice sippy cup of apple juice mixed with water and a couple of ice cubes in it. Its more of a treat then a need. Do you always eat nothing but veggies and fruits? The juice does offer some nutrients as the baby juices have alot of vitamin c. You just dont want to give her to much and make her have diareha just watch for that. Juice also helps if they are a little constipated. I hope that answers you question as to what juice to start with. I would ask your baby's Doctor about it if you have any questions about it. Or you can even ask the people from WIC I hear some of them that work there are very helpful.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 4:04 AM on Dec. 11, 2009