Sleeping on your right side during pregnancy

Ok, so I know they say the left side is the best to sleep on during pregnancy but is it ok to sleep on the right side? I am almost 26 weeks pregnant, ALWAYS been a stomach sleeper and have just started being able to sleep on my sides. Thing is I have to flip to my right side after awhile or my back hurts. Is it safe for the baby if I sleep on my right side??? or take turns from one side to another???

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 11:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have 4 healthy children and I slept on my stomach until it wasn't comfortable anymore and the I propped myself up so I was on my side/stomach. My doctor said it was fine as long as I wasn't on my back and I was comfortable.
    Anonymous

• and then propped myself up- sheesh preggo brain lol
    Anonymous

• The books I have read say that left is best. Right is fine. Back can cause blood flow problems/ constriction of flow to the uterus.

There are a lot of factors to consider when you're trying to pick the best position. If you are really worried that you are crushing the baby or not getting enough oxygen, talk with your doctor to factor in your blood pressure, your weight, your exercise habits... so many things.

Demand that Santa bring you body pillows of all shapes and sizes. You need sleep! Don't be afraid to move to the recliner or the guest bedroom. Where ever you get comfortable is the best sleep position.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Yes it is fine. ANd i know what you mean, I have to turn several times.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• When I'm pregnant (4 pregnancies - 5 children which included twins) I just consider it a bonus if I can sleep at all regardless of the position. With my second and third pregnancies, I slept on my back the entire pregnancy. Cracked me up when I got to the hospital to deliver because they wouldn't let me lie on my back. But anyway, sleeping on your right side is fine. If you can actually get comfortable, go for it. I always end up in a recliner the last 8-12 weeks.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 12:28 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• lol iamaswell a big belly sleeper so it hard for me to sleep on my sides aswell i choose the best position an try to sleep thatway the whole n ight i came upwith this cool thing i still sorta sleep on my belly but half on my side works for awhile an baby is fine an ill be 30 weeks on monday so my baby is a ok!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 7:36 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• After 4 kids I've learned something: I sleep however I want. I'm a back and side sleeper. I start on my back and sleep that way about half the night then roll to my right side.
    I tried to stay on my side (mostly my left) with my first because I was told that was what you had to do to be a good mom. By the end of the pregnancy I was having so much pain in my hips and shoulders that I couldn't sleep at all. I would just lay there awake and cry because it hurt so much to stay on my side.
    Now I just sleep how ever I am comfortable. I move around enough at night that I'm never in one position long and I've had 4 healthy babies despite sleeping on my back for an entire pregnancy. And I slept on my stomach at times even when I was huge, using a pillow wedged under one side. Whatever worked and got me to sleep.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:30 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I couldn't sleep on my back - even though your not supposed to, I did it anyway, but my son would go NUTS so I couldn't do it anymore. I couldn't sleep on my stomach after about 20 weeks, it was too uncomfortable. I couldn't sleep on my left side, because then I would get heart palpitations that would wake me up and freak me out. So right side was IT for me. I hated it. My son is 2 1/2 now, and I still have pain in my upper back from sleeping on my right side so long.

Sleep however you want to, just be careful on your back. :) The nurse at the hospital told me that the reason my son started thrashing is that his blood supply was cut off. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but he did NOT like me on my back.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Sleeping flat on your back can cut off oxygen to your baby. Why in the hell would anyone risk that? The left side is BEST, however you can go back and forth from right side to left and stomach sleeping is a NO NO too. I am 36 weeks and I sleep on my left side, with a soft pillow under my tummy for support and I always sleep on two pillows so I am never flat. When I am not comfy anymore I turn to the right side.

Do research on back sleeping/stomach sleeping while pregnant and take it very seriously. This is your growing baby!
    Anonymous