I am a terrible mom, right?

My almost 11 month old daughter is given a night time bottle and she also has started to be given whole milk daily. Approx two ounces with each bottle she consumes. So about 8 ounces a day.

I am trying to ween her off the night bottle and had no problems tonight, however, when she wakes up in the middle of the night I will just give her one and not stay up with her while she drinks.

How bad am I really.... be honest. I am trying to ween her off b4 she gets any teeth!

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 11:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Please delete this question and re-word it. Never ask these evil women if you're a bad mother for whatever reason.
    No mom is perfect.
    Anonymous

• Well, it's not something I would do. If you are just going to hand her a bottle then give her water instead.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• not near as bad as my sister
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Sippy cup helps. It's not good to give a bottle in bed but if you do and you want to break them from it, try a sippy cup with hard plastic. it will not be as soothing as the bottle so they will not suck on it near as much. Once broke from the bottle with the sippy cup, break from the sippy cup by only putting water in it. They tend to drink more when it's milk or juice. I am guilty! ; )
    kellih77

Answer by kellih77 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• Why wouldn't you stay up with her? It shouldn't take that long for her to finish. If you want to be sure that she's not hungry by giving her a bottle that she needs, you don't want to leave it in with her for hours (eww) or let her sleep with it in the mouth.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• She's 11 months old, with no teeth, and on whole milk?

Let's see. At 11 months old she shouldn't need a middle of the night feeding anymore. If anything, she's seeking comfort. No bottle. Offer a sip of water for thirst, but she shouldn't need a "feeding". Kiss her, hug her, tell her you love her and put her back to sleep.
    Anonymous

• You are a not a bad mother.
    I don't think she is looking for a feeding, though. I think she may just be looking for your comfort and may make it seem like she is wanting a feeding. I've heard of giving water at night, because even though she does not have teeth yet, milk that late at night is not good for their teeth. And as other's have suggested, try using a sippy cup, that may be harder for her to take to though.
    Good Luck
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:02 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I don't think you are a bad mom, but I don't agree with your decisons either. Giving a baby a bottle while they are sleeping is terrible for their teeth. It will cause their teeth to rot b/c the milk just sits there. I would definately find another solution to your problem. I agree with the previous post. I don't think she's looking to be fed either, I think she is looking for comfort.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• i didnt ever give my son a bottle once he was in bed...but my daughter went to bed with one and got one if she wanted in the middle of the night and they both turned out just fine...actually my son has constant teeth problems and my daughter doesnt! long as its not juice, dont trip...get your sleep its not as bad as you think! REALLY
    chowmom199

Answer by chowmom199 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• You are not a bad mother you love your child and and actually care for him/her

Bad mother= having kids cuz too lazy to work and wants to live off welfare, using drugs and poning kids off on everyone all the time, beating there children etc. etc.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2009