is 18 months too young to teach how to ice skate

Davina07

Asked by Davina07 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Um, I don't think so, as long as they are walking well. I saw a 2 or 3 year old on skates before and her mother said she had been on skates awhile. (they were doing the whole training thing with her - big plans I guess)
    Anonymous

• i would guess it depends on how well the child is walking...mine didn't walk until he was almost 15mos.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• I have an 18 month old and there is no way she ready to learn to ice skate yet. I guess it's possible for some to be ready. IDK.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 11:48 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• My son is 19m and i would take him ice skateing, he walks well. i mean i would be holding his hand the whole time. i dont think it would hurt to try.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 12:23 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Nope, I think it's the perfect age! DH and I both played college ice hockey and we would like DD to play too. We got her ice skates at 18 months and she practices walking in them about once a week when I'm playing in my game. She just turned 20 months this weekend and she walks around in them really well now, we've only had her on the ice twice now (the last 2 weekends) but she LOVED it. We still have to hold her up on the ice but she's so into it, I don't think it will be long now that we're taking her regularly.

Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:06 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Here's DD at about 18 1/2 months in her skates! (It's a bad cell phone pic, sorry!)

Photobucket
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:20 AM on Dec. 11, 2009