Is it legal:Birth certificate question.

I got pregnant by a guy i thought loved me until he heard the words i"m pregnant.Well he wants nothing to do with the baby.A lifelong friend i have known wants to step up and claim to be the father to give baby a well rounded lifestyle so can his name be placed on the birth certificate instead?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They will never know the difference..

and legally here the birth mother's husband can sign even if they are not the paternal father..im in montana.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• They won't know he isn't really the father unless the real father or this good friend decide to do a DNA test.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2009

• See i wondered the same thing.I thought it would be fraud if you did that when you knew the real father.I would have thought you would need to go through a legal proceeding to change the name to who you wanted,like an adoption procedure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Anon: It may be different in all states. I'm really not sure. But as long as the real father doesn't want anything to do with the child, and this new guy is deciding to take on the responsibilities, then I don't see what the problem will be; as long as the child get's everything he or she needs to grow.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:04 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• if you are not married to the man you are claiming as the father he has to sign an affidavit at the hospital & it be witnessed by a notary (the provide this service at the hospital). But seriously, its a bad idea to lie. It will be found out somehow, someway & that child will probably be very upset to find out you lied about who its father is. Regardless of how great this guy who wants to claim the baby is, realize if you do this he has legal rights to your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• also, if you do it the "legal" way you have to try to notify the real father or he can come back on you later about it.
    Anonymous

• My SIL got pregnant by another man while seperated form her husband, the other man went away and she and her hubby got back together, her husbands name is on the birth certificate and it is well known that he isnt the bio dad by many many people. Bio dad is in the picture now and is fully aware that its not his name on the certificate and everyone is fine with it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Anon 12:07: very good point. I think I would take their advice. And make sure it's something you really think about fully.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:09 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Yes it is legal, but if later he wants to claim the child is not his he won't be able to unless the real father steps up and asks for a DNA test. Usually a state will not make a child a "bastard" by removing a father without having another. Happened to my brother-in-law. So he should only do it if he plans on staying in this child's life forever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• You do NOT have to notify the bio-father and it legal, but like a pp said this man will have legal rights to your child. Do you plan on marrying him?
    You only have to notify the bio-father if he is on the birth certificate and the other man wants to adopt your child. It may vary from state to state, but most states don't care as long as there is a father listed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Dec. 11, 2009