Ring Test???

Have any of you ladies done the ring test? If you have, was it accurate?

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 5:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• what is a ring test?
    happymam2b

Answer by happymam2b at 6:03 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• The ring test is when you dangle a ring on a string over your belly, and it predicts you babies gender. Some woman swear by it. back and forth for boys and circles for girls.
    JrSmOm2005

Answer by JrSmOm2005 at 6:10 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• haha big old wifes tale you can try it but its all about gravity so i highly doubt its right
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 7:19 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• The reason people think that this (and other things like that) work is because, frankly, there's a 50/50 chance that whatever they say is going to be what you have. Usually, the people who do it and it's wrong just figure, whatever, that was stupid, and forget about it. But, if they happen to have guessed right, then people get all freaked out because they were right.

It's like saying hey, if I flip a coin with my right hand, I'm going to get heads, but if I flip it with my left hand, I'm going to get tails. Well, of course, some of the time, that will be true, but that doesn't make it an accurate statement or mean that knowing what hand I use to flip the coin (or, in this case, what way a ring moves) is going to be reliable.

If you want to know what you're having, do an ultrasound, or, better yet, do an amniotic fluid test...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:34 AM on Dec. 11, 2009

• It is not a 'test' it is an old wives tale. It would be about the same as flipping a coin and getting an answer- you have a 50% chance that it gives you the right guess to what you are having. The only way to know for sure exactally what you are having is do an amniotic fluid test.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Dec. 11, 2009